How to remove original Raleigh transfers to replace?

Cossington

Retro Guru
Hi,

I bought a NOS Team Raleigh a couple of years ago. I'm delighted with it, but during 30 years of storage (before I bought it) the lettering on the transfers became a little scratched. I'm keen to replace the 'Raleigh' transfer on the seat-tube. I see H Lloyd do the decals, which is great news.

How easy is it to remove the original transfers (or 'decals')? I presume they are varnish-fixed. I don't want to start the job, scratch the paint and end up with a far larger (and more expensive) job. I'm aware some E-bay sellers sell a large seat-tube sticker which has the yellow and black areas included (this area was originally painted balck and yellow, from the factory, as mine is).

Any hints, tips, guidance, or warnings, gratefully received.

Many thanks,

David

If the decals are water-slide a good cover up with strong sticky tape then rip off the tape
should pull off the decals, a few attempts will be needed to fully remove them, then 'wet/flat'
the paintwork to get rid of the edge where the decals was then re-lacquer that area.

Leave for a while, then apply new vinyl transfers.

Don't try to remove the decals with a stanley blade, you'll dig into the paintwork.

Baby oil dissolves some adhesives, wether it will work on your decals I couldn't say.

It probably won't work if they are varnished over though.

Just a note of caution before you remove anything, call Nick and see what he has, and as importantly hasn't!

In my build I was amazed to find he didn't have the Raleigh text for the seat and down tube - no reflection on Nick I hasten, I don't remember what he said at the time, as I had those, and there were plenty of other ones to worry about.

Nicks cracking and really knows his stuff, so it might be worth discussing how to remove old decals to

Thanks for your guidance.

Having read your advice, my next step is to take a closer look (with a magnifying glass, if need be), to see if it is under clearcoat. Also, how touching in the scratches will look.

Subject to the findings, above, I will speak to Nick, who's 'guru' reputation is echoed by many.

I'll report back, in due course.

Thanks again,

David

The other option is to stick the replacement decals exactly on top of the old ones.........

Shaun

Back