What's this stem on a super vigorelli ?

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
I saw this stem on an ebay bike yesterday and was wondering what it was. Any ideas ?

The bike is a Mercian Super Vigorelli from the 60's. See photos below.

Looks like he's sprung the seat stays out to get some extra gears.

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJF0FFZ0TG7ojBSFQBQD)sw~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJF0FFZ0TG7ojBSFQBQD)sw~~60_12.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 551
  • $T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kk,BSFQBHMWvw~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kk,BSFQBHMWvw~~60_12.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 550
  • $T2eC16F,!)cE9s4PsOgeBSFQB,zLGQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16F,!)cE9s4PsOgeBSFQB,zLGQ~~60_12.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 550
  • $T2eC16dHJHQFFhY!+Dw0BSFP6PcjpQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16dHJHQFFhY!+Dw0BSFP6PcjpQ~~60_12.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 550
  • $(KGrHqR,!qwFIN7kBNvFBSFP5VTTEQ~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!qwFIN7kBNvFBSFP5VTTEQ~~60_12.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 550
  • $T2eC16dHJGgFFm4WW4I4BSFP5mOMK!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16dHJGgFFm4WW4I4BSFP5mOMK!~~60_12.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 550
In a nutshell - nothing special.

I think it's an example of the cheap 'Cinelli copies' that came on the market in the 80's. Several have passed through my jumble stock and go for peanuts.

Interesting use of Lambert 'bars. Were these sold as individual components as I've only seen them fitted to Viscount bikes?

Isn't there a photo of the chainwheel side? What is the rear mech and chainset?

Looks like it could be brought back to reasonable condition with a fair bit of TLC but to be REALLY good it would need many of the components changing. Don't pay a lot for it.

It's gone for £225. I thought the stem looked a bit homemade.
Just that I had never seen one before.

I reckon £225 is to much for a bike in that state and with that level of components - even if it is a Mercian.

I think you're right. It looks like a load of junk.

What's so special about mercians that makes them so sought after?
I like the script though, much nicer than the Gothic style.

Bugloss,

Back in the 60-70's and earlier Mercians were always very elegant frames, often the lugs were modified from stock and always well made with attention to detail..........

Woodrup, Mercian, Bob Jackson, Harry Quinn very similar in quality IMHO.

Shaun

Thanks guys,
I'm way out of my comfort zone when it comes to British stuff, although I grew up riding dad's old bike, which I believe was a British machine with 50's Campagnolo parts and I distinctly remember the fancy lugs and GB stem. He sold the Campagnolo to the joiner down the road in the 70's, so I know that's no longer with us.

It's still in the garage loft and I'll have to dig it out as it's piled under tons of....., well you know, there's tons of it anyway.

I'm there next week and I'll take some photos if I can get to it.

Anyway back to this Mercian, I had a look around t'internet and couldn't seem to come across this particular style of Mercian frame decal, but I did see somewhere that the script style changed to Gothic in the early 60's. I thought the head badge was particularly interesting too as they have a modern take on it here;

http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/mercian

Not as nice as the original though...
Is that the world championship colours along with the Olympic rings? and what does this signify or which Olympics does this relate too ?

Attachments

• $T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kk,BSFQBHMWvw~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kk,BSFQBHMWvw~~60_12.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 486
Those Olympic rings are upside down.............they were on a lot of bike decals having nothing to do with the olympics, simply decoration :D

Shaun

JRJ (Bob Jackson) used the olympic rings, also my Falcon San remo has olympic rings on the headbadge. Not sure it's copyrightable any more. The "World Champion" stripes were also popular on lots of decals. :D

Just trying to think if Geoff Butler decals were olympic / world champion looking......

Shaun

Back