Inherited Raleigh Offroad Peak - Winter Commuter

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
This is my dads old Raleigh Peak (Off Road Series), unfortunately he is not well enough to ride it now, so its been given to me. He has owned it since new, I reckon its about 1993, it was bought locally nearer to the time I bought the lower down in the range Apex, just for that Girvin Flex stem :facepalm:

It aint light, it aint cool and it aint in the condition I thought it was (but it is British made)! Whilst still sporting its original stickers and parts there are some obvious signs of rust and bubbling under some of the paint work.

As I already have a road bike and MTB its going on winter commute duty.

I have replaced all the cables and outers, switched the grips (bargain basement Ritchey), changed the pedals for cheap Shimano SPDs (the bike had the original LX flatties, 1 running smooth, the other loose - from looking at them they can not be serviced?), changed the tyres for some 1.75 Decathlon ones I had lying about, they have a nifty reflective strip for night time, the Onza bars where on it when I got it, they weigh practically nothing and give some extra positions. Mudguards were also bargain basement (CRC end of line). The cantis have been stripped and refitted (awaiting new blocks), after posting on here complaining about setting them up I have learnt a few tricks and they seem to work :D maybe not in the wet, not tried them. It is sporting a cheap EBay light.

BB and headset both OK but will need servicing soon. The back wheel was making a horrific noise, removed cassette and cleaned it up, but still bad, took it to the local bike shop... 1 week later and £20 poorer and its been serviced but the the hub is pitted, so not running too smooth. New wheels required some day, I do have some 700c going spare, these fit... would any kind of special cantis fit?

The mechs were pretty caked up in goo, they have been flushed out with GT85, same with the awful brake/shifter setup. I can get the indexing fine on the front, on the rear I can get the indexing fine going from big to small cog, but going from small to big, it won't index and it has to be trimmed by pushing the other shifter, this isn't right is it?

That's about it, after taking it for a spin its seems quick and planted, proof will be in the daily commute when it gets a chance.

Any tips or questions welcome.

WOW - that was hard work, try these...

Attachments

• P1030949.JPG
    P1030949.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 707
  • P1030953.JPG
    P1030953.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 707
  • P1030954.JPG
    P1030954.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 707
  • P1030958.JPG
    P1030958.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 707
  • P1030957.JPG
    P1030957.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 707
  • P1030960.JPG
    P1030960.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 706
I think the fact that they were British is cool, and there is certain charm to the older ones. Not sure with this Off Road series, they were heavy (K2 marketing nonsense), but certainly fit for purpose, I did many many many miles on my Apex, including Helvellyn (sp?) in the Lakes and Jacobs Ladder near Edale. I think BITD I regretted getting it and wished for something else, still great memories.

Any way this is a keeper, just because its my dads, at the same time I want to use it.

I am concerned about the rust, should I worry about it, it certainly looks like surface rust only.

I don't think there is much life left in the wheels or rear much, let's see how long they can go on for.

So first ride out last night, with the wife and the yougest (6) he set the pace :)

Just on flat off road, it felt great, nice to have a substantial MTB frame, skinnier tyres and cursing along off road. All good. Happy with the cantis and gears indexing well enough. It confirms that I would like to build up a CX for this kind of riding.

Second ride today, 4 mile road commute, the heft of the frame, wheels, and other kit (lights/guards etc) can be felt. Normally done on my Allez so a difference would be expected. Still it rode well. My only annoyance is the limited space on the bars, bulge in the middle means I can not move the shifters in, the brakes are 4 finger jobs, and the bar ends take up an inch at either side!

Good to see another peak in service. Check mine out on here by searching on 'prezza'.

Mines since been commissioned for child carrying duties and I must say is great for this. I personally don't think they're too heavy for the era (and my normal ride is a modern stumpy pro carbon!).

Gil M had proofs for decals should you ever decide to fully refurb paint. My paint is pretty spotless but think a fresh set of decals would boost her appearance when I get round to it.

Interesting re 700c wheels too....

Cheers
Andy

Back