Mech issue

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The main spring in the pivot of my m952 mech has snapped,I have a replacement but to reassemble and put the circlip that holds the lot under tension around the hanger bolt seems impossible.Lil help.See pic

Attachments

• DSCF1323.JPG
    DSCF1323.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 289
It's difficult but possible.
If you take the b tension screw out you can use that tab and a pair of pliers to twist (pre load) the spring and push it into place, then snap the clip into place.

I've done a few over the years. If you've got a big, clear bag, do it inside there, so when you slip the spring doesn't go too far...... (and you will slip...... ;) )

3 hands, practice, a vice, more practice, strong thumbs. ;)

You need to hold the plate tight up against the mech body, its possible to use the stop on the other side of the plate to prevent it unwinding, then you need to force the clip in.
It's not easy, you will probably end up cursing.

Two hands, weak fingers, no tools, no scratches ... ;-)

WD Pro":2t6cew5h said:
I finished swapping over the rear mech, I couldn't use the Ti pulley as the bearing caps were wider (maybe 7 or 8 speed or something ?), I will need to replace or modify them, shame as they have just been anodised ... :-(

All Ti bolts were spun up in the drill to put a nice brushed finish on them :D

Mech bolt was the swapped in the same way as I did on the Bear Valley :

WD Pro":2t6cew5h said:
Although I had changed the bolt to a Ti one on my old 735 I couldn’t remember how I changed it (20 years ago :oops:) and tales on here of them being a pain and needing pliers etc didn’t sit well with me, especially as it would be put back together after being polished up ... :? Well a bit of thinking and it was actually quite easy using a long bolt screwed into the angle of dangle hole :

DSC05972.jpg

So you can twist it quite easily and hold it down all with one hand :

DSC05971.jpg

WD :D

Back