Are all reynolds 531 bikes light? solved

Re: Are all reynolds 531 bikes light?

110 appears to be a good start - stick some pics up when you've got it.

Decent tyres and oiled chain will make all the difference - simply can't imagine it will be more than 11.5 - 12kg.

best of luck and let us know how you get on....

phospho":1fm3sqjb said:
Yeah all I want is something around 10 or 11kg

Don't get too hung up about it. Sounds like a decent purchase. The strength in your legs is more important than the weight of your bike.....up to a point :)

Thanks... I guess anything is an upgrade over my 16kg road bike from before, lol.

Road bikes hide their weight much better than mountain bikes generally. I wouldn't be concerned about a few pounds this way or that. Comfort is far more important.

grumpycommuter":3geeutip said:
phospho":3geeutip said:
Yeah all I want is something around 10 or 11kg

Don't get too hung up about it. Sounds like a decent purchase. The strength in your legs is more important than the weight of your bike.....up to a point :)

I did make this point on the first page , there is more to a bike than the weight.and lets face it we could all loose a couple of KG,S which would make more difference than a half kilo of a bike

And bear in mind that (at worst) the frame of any half way decent steel bike will only be ~20% of the total weight. My 853 is about 1600 grams (its a small size) and could be built up to a UCI illegal weight with enough money and carbon thown at it. I've had it down to 8 ish kilos, when i spent a lot more time on it, and got my kit a lot cheaper than i do now!! You've got ~80% of the weight you can attack and still keep the same frame.

Proper gas pipe jobs will be far heavier (On One inbred for example, they are knocking on the door of 3 kilos, you can get steel mtb frames more than a kilo lighter than that.)

Even a top end carbon build the frame weight is going to be ~15% of the total weight.

I hope this is not a silly question but say I managed to lose 1 kg of the weight of my bike say by fitting some lighter wheel and a few other bits crank etc, would I really notice much difference and if so would this be on the climbs, acceleration etc or allround.

Lighter wheels make a lot of difference, perhaps the most difference .......... :D

Shaun

Midlife":17x738x7 said:
Lighter wheels make a lot of difference, perhaps the most difference .......... :D

Shaun

Thanks :) , ill have to post a wanted up, my wheels have seen better days.

The rest of the group set works fine so will run with that until I have spare ££

It's always great to fiddle around with bikes, but if you are good enough at cycling to be able to go faster just by making your bike 1kg lighter, you will be able to get a sponsor to pay for the upgrade. ;-)

Back