Frontiera Campag MTB

Thanks all for the kind comments and words of encouragement.

Pedals will not be clip less, so the examples outed above would be perfect. I might have a bid on the £50 ones and see what happens. The other ones at 100 euros are maybe slightly out of range.

Wow on the campagnolo saddle. There's one on French eBay right now, and only £775.....

Tyres, would like some nice tyres on this, but not sure what? Ground controls maybe? I recall there's a vendor in Germany that does smoke/darts new for a sensible figure. Would they be suitable?

Anyway, I'm well pleased. I think this and my Recently acquired "maybe" Roberts means I might well have scratched my retrobike itch for a while. You never know

Lovely mate, I had a centaur crankset on my Trek back in the day, seriously good looking kit IMHO :)

have been riding this a lot the last few days, its a belter. Took a few pictures in its natural environment on my phone, which i will try to upload.

The Chainset and mechs are beautiful - no doubt about it. The chainset actully stands out - it's stunning, multiple contors, sweeping curves, sharp crisp edges, the lot.

The U brakes work really well, better than i excpeted, they stop you in a very controlled matter. Not sure if thats just because they are well set up, with decent pads etc compared to my other bikes or what, but they are quite impressive. Looks wise, not beautiful, more purposeful.

Now then the shifters and levers!

The left hand thumbie for the front mech is actually indexed and it works really well. Quite a nice littel touch, i hadn't seen before.

The rear mech needs indexing, so will have to have a go at that later. Currently running in friction mode, which is achieved by loosening the top cap and giving it a push. Shimano's little slider is perhaps easier to use, but does snap of if you are ham fisted, so maybe this is a good solution.

The brake levers are massive - I had to measure them, 10 and a half inches long, nearly as long as my.................

..............ruler :D

they have a join half way along, not sure if this is for adjustemnt or what, seems a tricky spot to get to with an allen key anyway

to release the brakes, you have to unclip them , then slide them back, it's all a bit complicated. I think they are brutal, and love them for the weirdness!

with the arrival of my second Frontiera I thought i better update this thread with some more pictures

pulling the trailer, in the company bike park - retro in a sea of mod, and on the local bridleway

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 264
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 264
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 264
I also managed to get my mitts on this beautiful thing.....

ta dah!

Attachments

• camp%20saddle.jpg
    camp%20saddle.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 262
the saddle is the campag electra mentioned by Sinnerman upthread - top advice S, it's a beauty and looks awesome mounted

perhaps a black one would be even neater, but happy with this for now, anyways its good to have something to keep looking for!

I also bit the bullet and bought a set of the pedals from Germany outed upthread, and I have a set of Dart/Smokes waiting to be mounted

Hopefully will get an hour or so this weekend to put it all together and take some snaps, and some with its brother

this is the bike outside my local post office - i had popped in there to send off some retrobike gubbins used to part fund all the new bits i have aquired for this one, poetic non?

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 255
That saddle is So Cool, and an investment in itself. Your choices have complemented it perfectly Nick. Top man. :cool:

cheers Carl, hopefully get some update pictures on later tonight. Looking forward to your expert eye having a look at my other Frontiera thread, curious as to where that one might have come from

heres some pictures of my shopping...

Attachments

• euclid pedals.JPG
    euclid pedals.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 230
  • brakes box 2.JPG
    brakes box 2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 228
  • tyres.JPG
    tyres.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 228
Back