Are all reynolds 531 bikes light? solved

Re: Are all reynolds 531 bikes light?

Yep, also, my friend has a 531 framed MKM Ultimate which comes in at 19.4lb without too much Weight Weenie kit, but a much smaller and shorter frame than mine.

I believe it was generally the aim to get most mid 70s TT bikes below the magic 20lb, hence the use of extensive "Drillium" parts, although I'm not sure that made much difference!

How do you all weigh your bikes ?

Have I got to go into the bathroom and get onto the scales with a bike on my shoulder ? :LOL:

My oldest bike - Harry Quinn from mid 70's weighs in 8.65kg - 531SL tubing - that's 0.2kg heavier than my 2009 carbon Ribble that has carbon wheels & seatpost & the saddle has a a carbon base which in turn is 0.1kg heavier than my Colnago which is Aluminium - go figure!

Does show that 531 in it's various guises is still up there with the modern weights. To the original post - bike sounds o.k. if it's in decent running order it wouldn't take much to get the weight down. There's a thread here from RB a few years back - states 10kg...viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155806

FINNEY1973":2c5up3c5 said:
My oldest bike - Harry Quinn from mid 70's weighs in 8.65kg - 531SL tubing - that's 0.2kg heavier than my 2009 carbon Ribble that has carbon wheels & seatpost & the saddle has a a carbon base which in turn is 0.1kg heavier than my Colnago which is Aluminium - go figure!

Does show that 531 in it's various guises is still up there with the modern weights. To the original post - bike sounds o.k. if it's in decent running order it wouldn't take much to get the weight down. There's a thread here from RB a few years back - states 10kg...viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155806

Interesting indeed, maybe there is some life in my 531 Clubman and the Carbon bike can wait :)

FINNEY1973":135ulexw said:

Yeah I saw that, but it states: " rx 100 shimano groupset" I don't know much about bikes, but I'm assuming that will weigh lighter than my bikes groupset (whatever that is :p).

Stick with the Clubman Widowmaker - low end carbon bikes are vastly overrated!

RX100 was a decent enough groupset but was at the low end of Shimano's range - one below 105 if I recall correctly. So I don't think that will be the deal breaker on the weight front - I suspect the wheels will be your main opportunity but this is where it can get expensive as you buy the bike for X price and can pay the same again for another set of wheels.

No opportunity to test ride the bike before you buy or is it an ebay job?

FINNEY1973":2o7lfruw said:
Stick with the Clubman Widowmaker - low end carbon bikes are vastly overrated!

RX100 was a decent enough groupset but was at the low end of Shimano's range - one below 105 if I recall correctly. So I don't think that will be the deal breaker on the weight front - I suspect the wheels will be your main opportunity but this is where it can get expensive as you buy the bike for X price and can pay the same again for another set of wheels.

No opportunity to test ride the bike before you buy or is it an ebay job?
Ebay, I've already bought it at £110. Should be here Friday.

I'd most certainly consider upgrading the wheels, but not right away - just hope it's light enough for right away use.

Back