Random question

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Are frames designed with specific stem lengths in mind with handling characteristics?

And how short would you say you could go before it would make a drastic change to the bikes handling?

If I ride a 54cm TT normally with 90/100mm stem

How would it effect a 56cm TT frame with a 70/80mm stem?

I know the perfect answer would be to buy another frame but she is special to me :cool:

Cheers

Daj

Short answer, is "Yes". Will be a bit more nervous / twitchy / lively on the front which may or may not be an
issue but you would notice it. For example, zipping around town at a moderate pace it may feel sharper
and more appealing, but doing a +60 Km/hr descent down the Alps you will definitely find it harder to relax.

Best is to try it for the riding you do.

I think the two frames should ride similar provided they are similar geometries (i.e. both racing bikes as opposed to a tourer and a racer.) I for one can comfortably ride a rather large range of bikes from about 55cm to 58cm. So in order to make these bikes work I am constantly adjusting the stem length to find one that works. If anything going to a taller frame would affect stand over height the most. Ultimately it comes down to rider comfort anyway.

Steven

Back