1998 Kona Hahanna restoration... first timer!

naboo":1aqnx3bj said:
RichCollinsUK":1aqnx3bj said:
naboo":1aqnx3bj said:
Good luck with the build, sounds like it will be a nice build, got a 96 hahanna rebuild on the go, make sure you post some pics of how she looks on the new forks!

Sounds good! Got any progress pics?

Would like to know what you chose to go with!

Iv'e just added some pics of the Hahanna in my firemountain thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=260284&p=1965773#p1965773

Not got too far yet, im itching to get to work with it but like new im a new to retrobike, and iv'e blown the little bike budget i had on my last bike :cry:

Anyway im waiting to see what you do with yours for some inspiration :idea: :mrgreen:

Love to know what stem and bar combination you have. Like the look of them... also, the grips. Which brand/model are they?

Love the look of the FM though, it's beautiful!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take the Kona out last week, due to having to do some DIY :roll:

BUT, I managed to pick up a bike stand yesterday from Aldi, which seems pretty damn good actually!

I'll be photographing the components, before and after cleaning tomorrow.

Will update you all...

Ok, I've pretty much handed over my budget to EarlOfBarnet and I've picked up a good set of parts. Just secured a degree octalink chains et, deore 9speed cassette, and bottom bracket. Got magic rims, which are much light than my Alex rims I took off. Specialized and Shimano hubs, and avid single digit 5 brakes.

Onto the forks... I need some headset recommendations... What's a suggested headset in the region of 30-50? Am I ok to go used?

...you could be brave and ditch suspension forks and get a set of good ol' project 2's...of course, the shortest ones (from memory, 39cm axle to crown? something like that). If its road/light off road it'll ride like a beast. That's (partly) why my other one is called the Beast, as it fairly innocuously carries me from a to b mostly, but show it some dirt and it starts tearing rocks apart and massacring wildlife...

You can totally custom/retro this up, its a decent frame. of course you don't have to put a chainring on that's over half the size of the frame, like this one staring at me now...

RichCollinsUK":1woslrhw said:
Onto the forks... I need some headset recommendations... What's a suggested headset in the region of 30-50? Am I ok to go used?

1 and 1/8 inch? I'll need to check, but I thought I still had an unused Cane Creek S3.

EDIT : Looks like I already karma'ed it last year.

Either way, second hand ... yes, but if it's a balls and cups affair, be sure to inspect them for any irregularities. Pitting, grooves dull spots or minuscule cracks along the contact area are really bad signs.
For £30, I'd look at the Cane Creek I just mentioned. CRC has them new for less than that.

Ok, she's done! I've not got a picture just yet, want to get her out on a trail first!

Unfortunately, there is a problem. The wheels can't be made true as the nipples are corroded and keep snapping when trying to true the wheel. A full rebuild, or a new set is my only option. Currently there is a bit of rub when she rolls. :(

Can't wait to go for a ride!

Back