Oldies and poverty panic and future security

Bulls, much respect in all other terms but your taking this a little too far!

If you are so concerned about doomsday move somewhere safer.

We have fresh water from overground and underground sources, and we have our own food fresh from the fields.

We don't live in an earthquake zone, nor do we have live volcanoes. We are high enough never to worry about floods. Our walls are thick enough and roof strong enough to stave off all but the most extreme weather scenarios.

I am 45 and have never lived in a world where there were not wars going on, or some kind of crisis. We had the Cold War in my youth. I remember the news reports from Vietnam as a toddler. Iran and Iraq were going at it hard in the 80s, as were wars in Afghanistan, Namibia and everywhere else. The turmoil has never eased. My immediate family were involved in wars left right and centre, war has always been going on, always had its effect on our lives.

The middle east has always been tumultuous, perhaps now the region of 'war' has expanded to other countries but it is nothing new. None of these countries pose a real threat to most of Europe. Even Syria with Russia and China chiming in doesn't pose a threat, they won't get more involved once we attack. India and Pakistan don't concern me either, they have shown they have restraint in the last major conflict they had.

Hoarding food, water and gold?

May as well stay in bed and hide under the covers for fear you may trip putting on your slippers.

The "end of the world is Nigh".

Funded by retrobikes, save for a few that will also need to be saved for the New World..........., (after all Retrobike will have to be saved too.)

What use will a few tins of corn beef be, or a mattress stuffed with useless money.

http://www.terravivos.com/Vivos8Brochure.pdf

An ark for the end of the world as we know it....... :cool:

The History Man":1a3y0mx2 said:
Hoarding bikes, xt and tyres more like!

Tyres and XT are only of any use mounted to frames, I ought to spec a Bicycle shed on the Doomsday ARK plans perhaps..... :LOL:

I live in Norfolk, I was born in Norfolk so this would qualify me as being what doctors elude to as being 'NFN' or Normal for Norfolk I.E. totally nucking futs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Even so and even if I did have the money I would not be stupid enough to fall for Terravivos money for old rope bunker plans :!: :!: :facepalm:

My personal cataclysm plans involve all my bottles of Malt whisky and as quick and painless end as I can manage :xmas-wink:

On a much lighter note and more in keeping with the OP message, I now have to do shopping for my Mum who is blind and 83 years young and she still insists on me buying multiple tins and keeping bread in the freezer, she will not leave food on a plate (even if I have to finish it for her :facepalm: ). She however does not hoard money but has a healthy respect for it ( much more than I do :LOL: ). I guess if I had gone through the war like she did I would have a much more rounded outlook like she does too.

Anyway one day a while ago we were out on one of our jollies to the conveniently placed lovely town of Southwold (which you may or may not know is not far from Sizewell nuclear power station). We were waiting in the bus shelter to come home (yes I am a Luddite and can't drive :oops: ) and there was this old chap talking to a young lad in absolute seriousness may I add :!: :!: Saying ' One of these days some North Korean mini sub, is going to sneak in under one of those freighters and is going to fire a missile at the power station (Sizewell), and that will be the end of us :!: :!: Mark my words boy it IS going to happen :!: :!: '. The young lad stood there totally serious and said ' Yes it is going to happen I read all about it '. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

So mark my words Retrobikers ' IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN :!: :!: :!: :!: ' :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

velomaniac":8t6c8fey said:
Raging Bulls, as a Belgian you forgot Wallonia V Flanders.
I take it you are not really familiar with the Belgian people. When we are properly outraged, we may have a peaceful protest ... if our boss is willing to give us a day off, someone else starts it and it isn't raining outside.

highlandsflyer":8t6c8fey said:
Bulls, much respect in all other terms but your taking this a little too far!
Maybe I am, but then again maybe not. It certainly doesn't hurt to be prepared.

kermitgreenkona88":1hfc5ou7 said:
I live in Norfolk, I was born in Norfolk so this would qualify me as being what doctors elude to as being 'NFN' or Normal for Norfolk I.E. totally nucking futs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Even so and even if I did have the money I would not be stupid enough to fall for Terravivos money for old rope bunker plans :!: :!: :facepalm:

My personal cataclysm plans involve all my bottles of Malt whisky and as quick and painless end as I can manage :xmas-wink:

On a much lighter note and more in keeping with the OP message, I now have to do shopping for my Mum who is blind and 83 years young and she still insists on me buying multiple tins and keeping bread in the freezer, she will not leave food on a plate (even if I have to finish it for her :facepalm: ). She however does not hoard money but has a healthy respect for it ( much more than I do :LOL: ). I guess if I had gone through the war like she did I would have a much more rounded outlook like she does too.

Anyway one day a while ago we were out on one of our jollies to the conveniently placed lovely town of Southwold (which you may or may not know is not far from Sizewell nuclear power station). We were waiting in the bus shelter to come home (yes I am a Luddite and can't drive :oops: ) and there was this old chap talking to a young lad in absolute seriousness may I add :!: :!: Saying ' One of these days some North Korean mini sub, is going to sneak in under one of those freighters and is going to fire a missile at the power station (Sizewell), and that will be the end of us :!: :!: Mark my words boy it IS going to happen :!: :!: '. The young lad stood there totally serious and said ' Yes it is going to happen I read all about it '. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

So mark my words Retrobikers ' IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN :!: :!: :!: :!: ' :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

THERES NO SKOOL LIKE THE OLDSKOOL............, we could always revert to the good old Anderson Shelter...?

Attachments

• andersonshelter1.jpg
    andersonshelter1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 139
sinnerman":2fbh8t6x said:
kermitgreenkona88":2fbh8t6x said:

THERES NO SKOOL LIKE THE OLDSKOOL............, we could always revert to the good old Anderson Shelter...?

Well it is most certainly RETRO :LOL: :LOL:

I don't think it's unreasonable to hoard some stuff. It used to be quite common to hear of elderly food hoarders - and given some of their wartime stories (especially from those who were living in mainland Europe at the time) it seems an utterly rationale response. Similarly, those of you with memories of Depression era relatives are rediscovering that a distrust of keeping your money in banks is entirely appropriate too.

I am a little bit of food hoarder myself. Partly because I can remember being poor and always hungry as a teenager. But also because it's a good way of offsetting inflation and our existing food supply chain is largely just in time.

Even in recent history, we've come close a few times (eg bad weather cutting off fuel and food supplies to many parts, banks nearly taking down the entire financial system etc).

We are only a few meals away from collapse really.

I had a great aunt who hoarded against the apocalypse. Tinned food of course, a collection of radios arranged around the kitchen in order of date/purchase with the latest being the only working one. A wardrobe full of loo roll, a chest of drawers full of soap. Enough cleaning materials to decontaminate Fukushima and perhaps most worryingly a sideboard full of butane camping gas bottles all full.
One spark and the house would leave a sizeable dent in the street :shock:
Mad as spoons she was, washed out her teabags untill water ran clear, squeezed dry and individually wrapped in kitchen roll before reverentially placing them neatly in the pedal bin :facepalm:

Back