What Chainset???

Ironman

Dirt Disciple
I have just started a 1994 GT Zaskar build. Have a nice set of 1995 Pace RC35's which need a bit of TLC but are in good condition as is.

The conundrum I have is that I cannot decide what chainset to put on it. I've seen a couple of XTR M960's which look nice but the cost of replacing the chainrings puts me off.

Hoping for some inspiration out there. Can any help?

do you mean the XTR chainsets you have seen require new chainrings? or just that the cost of replacements in general seems a bit high?

Depending on how much you use the bike replacing the chainrings (more likely just the middle ring) is a once a season event at worst for most people, I've had chainrings last a few years despite a good deal of use and abuse, so I wouldn't let the cost of replacements influence you too much.

Also, you say its a 1994 Zaskar? if you want to keep the bike "period" then M960 XTR is a bit too "modern" isn't it?
I think the Shimano XTR groupset for 1994 was the M900 stuff.

Some info here... http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm

I read a review on mbruk that the XTR chainrings do wear out quite quickly. I'll be using the bike as my winter trainer/commuter so will be used quite a bit.

I'm not overly fussed about keeping it in period but don't want to go modern either. Stuff from the 90's and 00's will be fine, although I'd have to switch my bottom bracket if I go 'older'.

highlandsflyer":2czqa77h said:
I would shove an XT chainset on with easy to source rings.

X2........a very elegant part too, polish up great if the mood takes!...... :D

XTR on a commuter. :shock: What's the point?
Personally I'd go with any 5 arm chainset and run TA or Stronglight Zicral rings, which seem to outlast anybody's.

If it's for a commuter bike and it's not going to get coated in mud/sand/grit/slime everyday then chainrings should last a good while, just go with what you like the look of.

It won't be just for commuting, it also be used for trail runs and trips to Dalby Forest so I need something that won't fall to bits. There are often XT/R sets coming up in fleabay for circa £50 which I think is bad money for what you get

Back