Colnago Dream Cross Rabobank cyclocross bike

Stempie

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

I recentely picked up a Colnago Dream cyclocross bike that used to belong to the Rabobank cycling team. The build spec is mostly original with DA 7700 parts, including team edition seatpost. I am guessing the cranks were also team edition, but the logo's have unfortunately rubbed off.

Since the condition of the paint is pretty pour (as you'd expect from a team CX bike) I am considering a respray. However, I would love to take some pictures of the bike before doing this and maybe ride it a bit also. Unfortunately the previous owner changed some parts on the bike, such as the stem, the saddle and the wheels. Can anyone tell me what kind of parts would have originally been on the bike? The fork is threaded, so the stem would be a quill right?

Thanks in advance!

Re: What are the orginal parts for a Colnago Dream Cross Rab

A quick look on Google revealed the picture below. The stem appears to be an ahead with a quill adapter. Wheels Fir Antara on DA hubs, San Marco saddle and Spooky brakes, right?

ruv4hs.jpg

SWijland":1b77z40d said:
A quick look on Google revealed the picture below. The stem appears to be an ahead with a quill adapter. Wheels Fir Antara on DA hubs, San Marco saddle and Spooky brakes, right?

ruv4hs.jpg

I suspect the ITM finishing kit might mostly be Millennium, although that Aheadstem looks more like a Big One model based on the style of logo.

You're probably right about the brakes; Spooky have solid arms whereas Empella Frogglegs have a cut-out in the arms.

Tubs - Dugasts? I don't know if Challenge were up and running by then, and I'm struggling to think of any other skinwall/gumwall CX tub brands. Challenge would be a good substitute though and a bit kinder to your finances!

David

Try this guy: knows his 'nags and I believe he's on your side on the North Sea.

Actually, he's also on LFGSS.

I had a 7700 era Rabobank cross bike and it had the ITM Milenium bars and stem and, as above, a Dura Ace threaded headset with a bizarre conversion to run an ahead stem. Wheels were Dura Ace on Open Pro. I have photos somewhere.

If you could dig up the pictures that would be great!

The DA headset on the bike had some play in it. In an attempt to remove the play by tightening the top nut, I just got my headset wrench out. I had already noticed the headset did not have a lock nut, but I assumed the previous owner had probably forgotten to put it back on after replacing the stem. However, while I was turning the top race I noticed no resistance at all. Turns out the fork steerer isn't threaded, but uses a custom top race without threading. Very odd...

I prefer the looks of the ITM Big One over those of the Millemium. What kind of bars would have been used with an ITM Big One? Super Italia's?

Unlike most Colnago Dream frames, my frame has a straight top tube (without the ribs). So far I have been able to find only two frames - both cyclocross frames - that share the same feature. The first one is in the picture above and the second one is here: . Any idea if there was any reason for this?

About the Mavic Open Pro's, which kind of logo would they have had on them?

I have been quite busy the last couple of weeks/moths, which is why I didn't really got a chance the give the Dream a proper first ride. Yesterday I dug it up from the pile of bikes in the attic. For the time being I kept the bike exactly as I bought it, aside from the wheels and the handlebars and some TLC. I changed the wheels for Mavic Classics Pro and the handlebars for a Cinelli Integralter.

In the next couple of weeks I am going to see if the bike is right for me. If it is, I will get the frame a fresh coat of paint and some nice new components :) .

9607949858_ab78842767_c.jpg

9607949712_9e7788d172_c.jpg

9604716677_c508f91f15_z.jpg

9607949360_bc5e81ee8f_z.jpg

9607949126_dc36748160_z.jpg

Apologies, just realised that I never did put up photos of mine (now departed) and the original owner. For what it is worth the bike looked very much like yours although it did have the Gilco shaped top tube. Oh, and I have a spare pair of the team cranks if you need them.

Attachments

• Rabobank 1.JPG
    Rabobank 1.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,806
  • Top tube.JPG
    Top tube.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,806
  • duy00.jpg
    duy00.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,806
Back