Shimano xt v brakes question

Antfox

Retro Guru
My v brakes on my Zaskar are a nightmare the front seems to have nice movement the rear not much at all .

On inspection the ones on the rear seem to have a small ark where as the ones on the front have a larger arc .

Is this a tell tail sign for which are front and back ?

They came on a 1994 Zaskar and were taken off and fitted to my new frame as they came off so were they fitted wrong on the first place ?

Any help would be great

Anthony

Hi ant.....to my understanding, they are not front or rear specific.....a difference in arc of travel would suggest damage........

No stress marks on the alloy both brakes have the same arc

Plus the guy I bought the bike from was a stickler for keeping it clean and looked after

So its a mystery to me

A problem I get with my XTR Vs too. Problem resolved by:- stripping completely, cleaning and greasing. The tension springs get clagged up, less so with the front brakes as their position on the bike is more vertical.
On XTRs the spring is held inside the body of the brake and is accessed by undoing a lockring nut (hidden behind a rubber boot) and then, well it is a bit like an axle assembly with the spring held in position inside. A good clean and relube and the stickyness limiting the outward push of the brakes was gone.
Just take pics as you dismantle and the rebuild should be a doddle.

Many moons ago I posted a walkthrough guide on how to do this on here. I'm sure you'll find it searching via my posts.

also, I had a pain when I put my xt v's on my zaskar reissue (so this may not be a related issue at all), the rear I had to re-configure the washers and everything to either push the pads further way (or closer can't remember) as there was no way I could get them to work how they did from my previous frames I ran those brakes on due to the triple triangle being narrower at the brake bridge part.

T'boo Ted":2zazemx7 said:
also, I had a pain when I put my xt v's on my zaskar reissue (so this may not be a related issue at all), the rear I had to re-configure the washers and everything to either push the pads further way (or closer can't remember) as there was no way I could get them to work how they did from my previous frames I ran those brakes on due to the triple triangle being narrower at the brake bridge part.

You could be on to something as looking last night spacers where my next question !

Cheers Anthony

yeah I put them on and tried to setr them up and it was like wtf how is this going to work? Swapped the spacers, eccentric thingys to the other side of the arm and all worked fine.

Back