BoTM August 2013 - Nominations if you please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what Ductape and others are saying, I use to race to WHSmiths to buy a the first copy of MBA to see the New Months American Exotica.

But I also Get what VideoJetMan is saying too, I equally Lusted after A MuddyFox Courier, A Tushingham B52 and An Overburys Pioneer, all around the £500 price point.

And at that age £500 took a lot of newspapers....

Maybe an interesting idea either a price point BOTM one time or a reenactment of a popular mag review of four different bikes those being eligible for that month ? I find the exotic bikes cool too but my interest lasts as long as a Top Gear review of the latest Ferrari or Lamborghini I totally respect the time and effort it takes too as I have built a few myself and never without spending in excess of £500 so even 'ordinary' rocky mountains cost a few bob :D

Bikes were much cheaper in the USA. I bought a Trek 930 for £500 in 1993 which had a basic frame with STX and Alivio components.

I was referring to reading about bikes like Merlins, Kleins, Mountain Goats, Yetis, etc in MBA when I was young and broke.
I wasn't commenting on the BOTM, though it kind of looks like I am. Videojetman is 100 % correct. I have fallen in love with bikes I have seen on this site that were in the $500 range when they were new.

hollister":1rpqssgc said:
What was the difference between 500usd and 500pounds bitd?

out of interest it was about 1.5 dollars to the pound if we take 1993 as a sample year

The price point mentioned in a previous post to Hollister is a mute one, a B.O.T.M winner should be something that’s inspirational, something that makes you go "wow" ... Mikes (RideVintage) Kona isn't a mega buck bike but is well put together and equally well presented, making you wish you owned it and had the afternoon off work to enjoy it.

To further underline my argument that owning a bike beyond the means of the vast majority doesn't guarantee a win look at all the inter stella star ships that have come second or third, Andy from YETIFAN has Yeti's that factory riders rode BITD .....but he lost out to "so say" lesser foe….. that’s democracy at work

On another note a well executed and well presented build will always prevail over I’ve just opened my wallet and thrown money at my frame entry .....because there's too many well informed discerning people voting.

Third point....what are B.O.T.M "specials" all about if not to level the playing field, so you can turn up at a gun fight armed with a B.B gun

B.O.T.M is as close as perfect as anyone can make it, So leave it alone !

Attachments

• 1993 exchange rate .jpg
    1993 exchange rate .jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 251
The History Man's 1989 Overbury's Pioneer three hour build. Bring on the brick bats!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back