Coast2Coast preparation

Seriously rethink your route, the guy who wrote the guide in wrong in the head, we've just got into Shap after hours of torment, all of Mosdale is bog, totally unridable and up to your knees in places.

Did the C2C some years ago and have nothing to add to the good advice above except to pack some trainers for the pub / restaurant, as a week of wet feet would be misery. BTW you are in for a great ride, let us know how you get on. :cool:

Nearly died on the way to Kirkby Stephen last night, as I said in ny previous post Mosdale is a bog which drained the life out of us. There's about 5km of off road shortly after Kirby Stephen which starts at OS 838 096 I suggest that you avoid this as most of it is unrideable at the moment and I suggest you take cycle route 71 instead.

Also a tip I was given the other night; wear bib shorts, I've not tried it but apparently it's alot more comfortable than an elasticated waist band.

Nearly died on the way to Kirkby Stephen last night, as I said in ny previous post Mosdale is a bog which drained the life out of us. There's about 5km of off road shortly after Kirby Stephen which starts at OS 838 096 I suggest that you avoid this as most of it is unrideable at the moment and I suggest you take cycle route 71 instead.

Also a tip I was given the other night; wear bib shorts, I've not tried it but apparently it's alot more comfortable than an elasticated waist band.

Another up date, had a nice gentle road ride from Grinton to Osmotherly, the route only has a couple of miles of off road shortly after Geintonbut to access them you have ford a river which would have been over our knees and we'd had enough wet feet by that point.

The next stage, Osmotherly to Glaisdale has the best biking so far and is nearly all off road to make up for the previous days road stage, near the start there's a hidious un-rideable section but don't let that put you off, once you get up on the Moors everything gets better, although it is windy up there so take a good wind proof.

Rob,

I am now back from my holiday and have a decent internet connection. Your updates are much appreciated and we'll probably adjust our routes like you said.

Thanks again!

Final tip book yourself into a B&B in Robin Hood's Bay as opposed to staying in the Youth Hostel in Boggle Hole, whilst the rest of the hostel on route are perfectly adequate for the C2C, Boggle Hole is full of screaming children, and if you're as knackered as I am it's the last thing you want, although it might be quieter went you do it as they should be back in school.

Enjoy your trip.

One tip from my father-in-law ...

Take some carrier bags or empty crisp packets - if your feet / shoes get wet dry them off, put dry socks on and put the bags over your feet. Then put your shoes on over the top - your feet might be a little cold from the shoes initially but your feet warm up, and your shoes dry out!

Sounds odd, but does work really well!

Good tip! Thank you. I was planning to use Sealskins for socks but this is a good tip for when I am not having them on.

Back