Oldies and poverty panic and future security

suburbanreuben":2mm0puxd said:
Retro Cat":2mm0puxd said:
I'm getting more stingy as I get older - get palpitations over spending £3.95 at Costa
oof! Instead of shelling out for some tasteless foreign muck, you could have a cup or two of warming broth if you had one of these;
images

That's ace I've got to dust my beige one out with the dark brown cup unit.

Rich Aitch":1l2dhfv0 said:
I never understood why people would hoard tinned food, what will you heat it with after the meteorite/ nucleur holocaust?
If it's tinned it doesn't need heated. I can't think of anything raw in a tin.

Although I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

technodup":1nr27x8n said:
Rich Aitch":1nr27x8n said:
I never understood why people would hoard tinned food, what will you heat it with after the meteorite/ nucleur holocaust?

Correct, it's cooked food that it preserved in cans, lasts for decades, saw a program where they found tins from an arctic expedition 70 years ago and ate one!!!!

gtRTSdh":2hbgixlb said:
technodup":2hbgixlb said:
Rich Aitch":2hbgixlb said:

Correct, it's cooked food that it preserved in cans, lasts for decades, saw a program where they found tins from an arctic expedition 70 years ago and ate one!!!!

Ditto: WWII stockpile of tinned food including a lump of corned beef a foot square!

They opened it and confirmed it was still edible...

It never ceases to amaze me that most people only have supplies to last for 2 or 3 days. If there's a big earthquake and the stores are closed for a week or destroyed, how are you going to feed your children? What are they going to drink if said earthquake disrupts the water supply?
For each person in your household you'll need at least 20 MRE's and 10 UK Gal of water. That should be enough to last around 3 weeks, which is the maximum time between major disasters happening and international help reaching all the houses in the affected regions.

Another thing that still amazes me is how many people think they are prepared but actually aren't. Most "preppers" store some pre-made canned food and think they can survive on that for years. 90% of that stuff simply doesn't provide the necessary nutrients and/or vitamins to support you long-term.
If you want to bug in to survive some major disaster, don't get supermarket food that is unhealthy in the long run. There's no point in storing 20 years worth of food if constantly eating said food is certain to give you health issues in a few years time.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a can of beans from the local Aldi or Lidl every now and then. In regular times you eat those too, but you usually combine that with fresh food which does have all the stuff your body needs.

Just as important : drinking water. If you need to bug in for long periods, rationing it will only increase the chance of getting kidney stones. Basically you'll need plenty of it.
Store it in glass bottles or big kegs, preferably the latter. No plastic bottles, they tend to dissolve a bit into the water over time and ruin the taste completely.

Having access to cash money is good. Having £1000 in 2 or 3 different currencies (thats 1K in each currency) is better even. Go for big currencies that are common in your area (£ + EUR + $ for most here). That way if one economy breaks down or one currency is subject to hyper-inflation, you still have some other money that is actually worth something.

Of course money is only good as long as the other people aren't looting because they have none.
If the entire world economy collapses your money is worthless anyway, so don't focus too much on it. Silver and gold are much more interesting, both as investments in good times and for bartering in a doomsday scenario.

I could go on and on, but the post is getting long enough already.
As for my preparedness for disasters, I won't go into details. Let's just say that doomsday may be tomorrow for all I care. Bring it on.

You have spent too much time thinking about this :shock: .
Alternatively maybe I dont think about it enough :oops:

velomaniac":17m2jniq said:
You have spent too much time thinking about this :shock: .
Alternatively maybe I dont think about it enough :oops:
There's 2 ways to see it indeed.

I may be wasting my time preparing for stuff that may never happen. Then again being prepared for the worst does give you peace of mind.
And if the worst should happen, well ... good luck.

Things between the US and Russia have been tense for more than a year now, and their opposing views about Syria aren't helping. Lots of tribal wars going on in Africa.
The entire middle east is a huge keg of dynamite with a smoldering fuse. Israel vs Palestina, North vs South Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, India vs Pakistan, Iran vs the West, this religion vs that religion ... how long do you want me to go on?
Even the internet is turning into a war zone where government hackers try to infiltrate other countries' computer systems and freelance hackers run amok. The first one to take down the banking network for a few days can plunge the entire (informatics-dependent) western civilization into chaos.
Then there's the natural disasters, the ever-increasing chance of drug-resistant virus pandemics (thanks to our over-use of antibiotics), zombie apocalypse ;) , etc.
Also, let's not forget that almost every country is billions or even trillions in debt and that several banks are only afloat due to government handouts and the promise of money that doesn't actually exist. If the whole financial bubble bursts, we'll basically be back in the stone age because there will be no more jobs, no more products, no more money to buy them anyway, etc etc.

All that makes me quite confident that some form of sh!t will hit the fan at some point.

I have 3 kids so will work till I drop and still have debt.....

Even if the stone age arrives again.

Shaun

I'm too old to spend my days worrying about stuff that's out of my control. Suppose I stockpile enough water and food for a few weeks in case the world is thrown into some post-apocalyptic state of chaos - when that runs out, what then?
Bigger, stronger and younger dudes will probably have stolen all my food and killed and eaten me too, if it's a "stone age" type society.
Like in Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"......

Back