Do you think this is safe?

Will I cause death using this disc mount?

• Yes, you might. Play safe and put HS33's or v brakes on

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No, it'll be fine. Go ahead a put a disc on.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those fork legs are not IS disc mounts, they are the old 'Formula Standard' 48mm fitting, the most commonly available (though now obsolete) brake that fits is a Hope C2 number 4 caliper.

retrocomeback":3279tefs said:
Those fork legs are not IS disc mounts, they are the old 'Formula Standard' 48mm fitting, the most commonly available (though now obsolete) brake that fits is a Hope C2 number 4 caliper.

This would explain the old Formula front brake and hub, Rob. Maybe it's worth taking a look at that caliper to see if it's repairable? What do you think?

I would be concerned about putting any brake caliper back on to the near side mount (the one that's been stretched) to be honest, to me it looks like the holes have been deliberately elongated to facilitate an IS caliper or similar, and given the rotational forces a working caliper exerts on a fork leg personally I wouldn't risk severe injury for the sake of tracking down some replacement fork legs with IS mounts or simply finding some brake bosses and putting on a rim brake on. It's your call at the end of the day.

Back