Help with 2000 bighit fsr

Dysolve

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I have a what I believe is a 2000 bighit fsr, I damaged the rear derailer and hanger hitting a little pebble a few years back and due to illness and moving twice I seem to have lost the derailer and hanger.

If any one could help me out with a picture of the hanger that would be great. Also I have no touched bikes in a few years so what would be a good replacement derailer to get.

I think I will do the chain and cassette at the same time.

I did some damage to the nut whole, it seems to have stripped the thread. I have posted some pictures of the damage do you guys think I will still get away with this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 355
So I went to the local bike place, they told me That it can be fixed by drilling it out and using a fitting to fill. Has any one heard of this before. Also I have been offered a set of triple forks. I was told the triples could damage the head. Has any heard of this before.

Wheels Manufacturing have a Generic Hanger if you get stuck.
The repair method for the badly damaged thread is called the Helicoil System. Drill out the hole larger diameter, then fit Helicoil( spring type coil) then snap off the end and it will leave you with the same size thread. The cost of a kit can be prohibitive, and it can often be better to pay your LBS to do it.
If you get stuck let me know , I have some in the workshop.

A good site to learn about Helicoils:
I think- Bollhoff
They may have videos
Watch the thread sizes for bike frames they are not engineering standard/common

weird that it doesn't have replaceable hangers

i have a spare seat-stay off my 98 ground control, if you are interested i'll post some pictures and you can make me an offer

its the non disc stay

Thanks for the help so far. I now need a new rear derailleur. I have shimano shifters and it's a 9 speed. Can I use an 8 speed derailleur( because I have a spare) and what does the cage length mean?

Back