DIY Brush Painted 1996 Kona Cinder Cone

That's impressive. I've painted a car with a roller before. Lots of patience, heavily thinned paint many many coats and an arm like Popeye from the sanding! But I always grinned when people asked who sprayed it? :LOL:

This is very good as getting a decent finish on the round tube profiles of a bike frame must have been very fiddly and time consuming.

Was the paint thinned down? And how durable is it?

This is the fourth frame I've painted in three years; two spray paint jobs and two brush jobs. To get a decent finish requires patience and a light touch with the wet n dry paper. Rub too hard and you'll go through the paint, particularly on any edges.
I used 400 grit between each of the six colour coats and finished off with 1200 grade. After leaving to harden for a few days, I polished out the fine scratches with household Silvo metal polish, then household furniture polish for a waxy sheen.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 587
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 587
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 587
matt24777 said:
That's impressive. I've painted a car with a roller before. Lots of patience, heavily thinned paint many many coats and an arm like Popeye from the sanding! But I always grinned when people asked who sprayed it? :LOL:

This is very good as getting a decent finish on the round tube profiles of a bike frame must have been very fiddly and time consuming.

Was the paint thinned down? And how durable is it?

I did not thin the paint down. I mixed dark blue with a lighter shade, poured it into a jar and brushed it on as it as it was. The wet paint spread nicely without the need for thinners.
I spent eighteen quid on six tins of humbrol enamel from ebay but reckon I only used about a fiver's worth.
As to durability, time will tell. I've been riding the bike regularly for a few weeks and haven't had a chip or scratch yet though.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 584
Aye, I could see that the original gold paint would have been nice when new , but it was too far gone really. Even "Cillit Bang!" wouldn't have saved it.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 546
I think it looks awesome, I would never have thought to brush paint a bike frame but this looks really good! I bet you're well chuffed! :)

I don't suppose you could tell me what brand of furniture polish you used? And also was there a primer? Or the humbrol paint straight on the frame?

konaben82 said:
I think it looks awesome, I would never have thought to brush paint a bike frame but this looks really good! I bet you're well chuffed! :)

Thanks man. Though I've done this before, I'm still quite chuffed. I'm certainly very chuffed with the way the bike rides. I also am definitely a Kona fan now.

konaben82 said:
I don't suppose you could tell me what brand of furniture polish you used? And also was there a primer? Or the humbrol paint straight on the frame?

I used Tesco Lavender Furniture Polish with Bees Wax :oops: as that was what was in the house at the time. Any brand will do though, I reckon - Mr Sheen, Pledge etc.
I used a brush on Red Oxide primer this time, because the frame had previously suffered surface rust damge and minor pitting. I wanted to ensure that the frame would be protected from now on, so I applied three good coats.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 287
Back