Bike grease, which type??

Black Gold -which bizzarely was pale green - used to be the best.Not seen any for ages now though . Used LM 'til my crane mechanic came to work and i 'aquired' some lithium . Seems pretty good , and cheap too :LOL:

Depends on the application.

For brake and gear cables, headsets, seatposts etc the cheap stuff is more than good enough. However for wheels I prefer Shimano's bearing grease.

/\ LOL.

Shimano's Green Dura-Ace stuff is some of the stickiest I've ever come across. However the cost of it for a tub is astronomical.

For the budget conscious B&Q will do you a metal tube of lithium grease for £4 used it on bikes for donkeys years. Halfords spray grease (with the car lubes - not the bikes) is great for getting into mechs etc about £4-£5.

RadNomad":20ng15ez said:
Whatever grease you choose, don't forget to put some on your square tapers :twisted:

Don't start that again!!! What was it 30 pages in the end! :shock:

A while back I would have said Phil Wood bearing grease, but at £11 for a toothpaste tube full I started looking for an alternative.

I wondered what was the funky looking red stuff in the hubs I stripped down one day

Eventually found it is Silkolene Pro RG2, less than £10 posted for a 500g tub, will probably last me forever! Best grease I have used and I've used many different sorts.

Latest posts

Back