The Kitbag....

I've put in an order to Alpkit after seeing ZZ's gear, they had run out of 13 ltr handlebar bags so I'll see how 20 litres feels on the front :) I'm going to try and do the great glen with nothing on my back and no panniers. Really liking Velo's stem / bar idea so will probably try that at the back.

likewise TK, wanted the 13l kelp, due to stock ended up with the 20i red (chilli) so, going to try and do my trip with that up front and a camelbak with nutrition, tools/tubes and waterproofs on my back..

thinking for bikepacking is now to get a frame bag for camping equipment.

I bought the 13 litre standard dry bag too to try on the front, I have an abundance of nylon strapping for my bike racks so was just going to use those to tie everything on.

velomaniac":11lusce0 said:
If you have a 27.2mm seatpost, get a 27.2-28.6 seatpost shim (Aprox £5) and a long 28.6mm AHead stem. Attach to seat post and fit a cut short handlebar then bungee stuff sack to the cut off bars.
Alternatively strap a length of wood with heavy duty zip ties to cross bar so it extends rearwards of saddle as a boom and strap stuff sack to rear boom.
Alternatively strap stuff sack to handlebars.
Alternatively buy a beam rack..........last is most sensible, cheap ones do exist !

never had a beam rack that didn't end up swaying off to one side - including expensive ones, although all the ones I've seen seem to be quick release and I think that is the issue.

would a narrow drop bar be a good solution for the rear bag mount Velo? - would give side support to the bag and more strapping options.

The Ken":186n5d0p said:
never had a beam rack that didn't end up swaying off to one side - including expensive ones, although all the ones I've seen seem to be quick release and I think that is the issue.

well you would attach a vice!

I do like some of the ideas BTW, I'm trying to work out how best to turn the Pugsley into a 'light' tourer. I've a regular rear rack that I'm going to strap a dry bag to and may do the same for the front. Then have a frame pack for some stuff and a minimal back pack.

Try a search for Jandd (sp?) on the bay they did a reasonabley sized and priced frame bag.

kaiser":2vv1ljuf said:
The Ken":2vv1ljuf said:

well you would attach a vice!

no but I am thinking of ordering one of these hydration units....
IMG_1187.jpg

Got my new gilet today :) should be ideal for bikepacking/touring.

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/detail.jsp?pid ... tAodnwoAZw

nice life preserve Marty McFly :LOL: :LOL: good value

itching to get my bikepacking kit together, chasing terra nova tents on fleebay at the mo.. also noted a few reasonable new 1 man jobs ~£120ish

any recommendations out there

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back