Do you think this is safe?

Will I cause death using this disc mount?

• Yes, you might. Play safe and put HS33's or v brakes on

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No, it'll be fine. Go ahead a put a disc on.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I stripped down my friends 97 Bomber Z1 forks. They need new seals and bushings, no problems with that. However we were planning to use a disc brake on them but after looking at the IS mounts I can see that they have been chewed up and enlarged on one side (the forks have IS mounts both sides, only one side has been used so its easy to compare them).

They used to be used by a very good downhiller so they probably haven't had an easy life.

Would you get some canti mounts and play safe or do you think it'll be ok to use the disc mounts?

It looks like at some stage a bolt has been sawn off as they is a gouge in the fork leg but as this is at a thick point I am not too worried about that.

Vote and post comments please.

null_zps4c4dffa9.jpg

null_zps60e8fc2c.jpg

null_zps550e56e1.jpg

null_zpse5ddb185.jpg

That looks pretty mashed Rob :?
Think i'd be inclined to go for Hs33's.
More in keeping with the retroness too.

Look to me like the mount bolts have gradually worked loose and gyrated in there, mashing the alloy in their wake.

Magura or v's i reckon.

Didn't early Zocchis use a 50mm spacing as oppose to 52mm IS std?
You could mount an upside down caliper on the RH leg; a BB7 with an Avid fundangle thingy.
It'd be different...

Just found out that the canti boss threads are stripped as well - not the actual bosses themselves but the thread that the bosses screw into (ie the threads in the fork legs themselves).

suburbanreuben":2zsdm3r6 said:
Didn't early Zocchis use a 50mm spacing as oppose to 52mm IS std?
You could mount an upside down caliper on the RH leg; a BB7 with an Avid fundangle thingy.
It'd be different...

My thoughts exactly :cool:

Back