unknown gt £40 bin

Really hard to tell but possibly a Karakoram, avalanche etc..

When you get it, do a little scratch away in an I significant area and if you're lucky you might reveal the original paint and more of a clue.. especially around the welds

Short postscript, for those interested:

On examination, it looks like the black paint's original - this together with the groove tube, replaceable mech hanger, U-brake and very neat welds, is making me lean towards a Richter 8.0 :cool:

I shall start a build thread as soon as Mrs_koupe returns with the camera on Tuesday - however I fear I won't be able to resist stripping it long before then :D

Koupe":3jz9967k said:
Short postscript, for those interested:

On examination, it looks like the black paint's original - this together with the groove tube, replaceable mech hanger, U-brake and very neat welds, is making me lean towards a Richter 8.0 :cool:

Replaceable mech-hanger !! Now we're talking.
Definitely high-end steel. Must be Bravado, Psyclone, Richter, Team Avalanche.
If its a 2 bolt hanger its a later one.

Single-bolt hanger, so a '92 I believe? Also has weird vertical 'pegs' just in front of the rack mounts.

EDIT: According to an advert in the archive, the 'pegs' are actually dropout adjustment screws :cool: I'm thinking I should probably get a couple of spare hangers machined up, just in case....

Lucky, lucky b*****d !

I believe you have a 92 Psyclone or Bravado. Epic score for £40.
By 93 they'd moved to 2 bolt hanger, think that was the only year of both the adjuster screws & single bolt.

I think the Psyclone was fillet brazed while the Bravado wasn't. Psyclone came in black that year
if you think paint is original.

92 Bravado (courtesy of GM)
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=237347

Well, it's definitely not fillet brazed, although I am impressed with the neatness of the welds - so that would make it a Bravado or Richter? Afraid I have very little knowledge of GT history :oops: am I right in thinking the frame was US-made?

(I'm dead chuffed with the frame regardless of its identity, but it would be nice to put the correct decals back on it!)

1992 Karakoram had a one-bolt replaceable hanger and drop-out adjusters and I thought the 1992 Richter 8.0 was the same frame - it definitely had drop-out adjusters, though I haven't had one, so can't vouch for the replaceable hanger.

[edit] It did:

viewtopic.php?t=209479

So I'd still bet on 1992 Richter 8.0

Back