orbit gold medal 531

bulldog

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
got this of ebay the other day orbit gold medal 531 super tourist frame and forks ,full 105 group set,mavis rims 105 hubs,alvio cantis ,anybody now the year or price was this the top spec tourer ,thinking of have this as my tourer ?,i need to change the stem ;)

I remember these when I got this Orbit Pro for my eldest daughter C1990. The company still exist (Sheffield). The Gold Medal had more relaxed touring geometry and AFAIK was their top tourer. Think I paid about £140 for the frame and fork. Yours looks to be in very nice condition :cool:

Attachments

• 15 july 2013 004 (Medium).jpg
    15 july 2013 004 (Medium).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 2,761
hi thank you for the info,i think i will be keeping this i am looking at changing the stem for more comfort and i may add bar end shifters plus rack and mudguards ,yours also looks very nice

cheers ;)

Hello mate, tidy bike! Best guess it's a 91/92 midrange model. It's their top frame with groupset down-grades ( Alvio/105 to bring it down to midrange. EXCELLENT tourer with niche cache ( in a world full of ubiquitous Galaxy tourers it's like owning a Maserati in a world full of Ferraris ).

did this come like this or has this been added,105 ect it has has a giant cable holder under the stem which i know mush have change at some point,maybe the brakes also?
like i say i am very happy with it,i have a full set of black lx cantis with lx pads and a old brooks saddle,just got find the right comfort stem first to make sure the bikes right for me ;)
cheers

This bike is now mine - thanks bulldog!

I've now fitted a Brooks saddle, mudguards, front and rear racks and bottle cage from my previous bike, and given it a good going through:

Next step is to replace the 6 speed freewheel with a 7 speed one, so I can fit my 7 speed bar end shifters. I'll also put aero brake levers from the same era on there. I also need a pair of good tyres, as the ones on this are perished, and eventually, I'll upgrade to a triple crankset. When I was younger, I always wanted a Dawes Galaxy. Now I feel I've got something that little bit more exclusive!

Back