Which flashing front light please?

JamesM":3upin4os said:
MADJEZ":3upin4os said:
JamesM":3upin4os said:
I found the flashing mode on those to be much dimmer than the contant mode.

..er that's cos they're not on all the time... :p

What I meant was, when in flashing mode the LED doesnt light up anywhere near as brightly as it does when in constant mode. It's not too bad when the batteries are tip top but once they've been used a bit the brightness and frequency of the flashing mode seems to drop right off.

I am with you 100% on this, very poor in comparison when in flashing mode - very sensitive to slightly discharged batteries.

WD :D

The History Man":2394kpjx said:
Need a rear now as old bracket worn so beam drops over bumpy stuff.

You might get a rear free with the front, I know I did. And whilst the light you've ordered is as folks have said not as bright in flashing mode it should be plenty bright enough for a flasher. I've two and use both in constant, more than adequate for commuting. I have supplemented this set up with a helmet torch though.

On the subject of batteries, I buy em from Poundland (you get about 12 AA or AAA for that).
I bin them as soon as they show signs of dimming (at that price its way cheaper than Duracels).
Carry spares in my rucksack.

xerxes":ckbkbava said:
Prior to getting a USB rechargeable light I had one of these: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-lu ... 53330.html, runs on 2 AA batteries, plenty bright enough to be seen by and the bar clamp is good, has side cut-outs on the lens which helps you be see from the side . Not quite bright enough for unlit country roads unless you take it slowly.

Also comes in a set with a decent rear: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-lu ... 64043.html

I have one of these and infact recomended it a few pages back. It's funny how you say it's not bright enough for country lanes, but if you'd have been given one of these 25 years ago as a replacement for your 2 D cell Eveready would you have said the same :LOL: It's all relative.

When I started commuting by bike about 6 years ago all I had was a Smart 5 LED thing, then I got an Electron 9 LED light, then the 35 lux and now I have Lezyne Macrodrive on the bars and a Microdrive on my lid. The first two lights weren't really bright enough but I got through a few winters with them. Only when I got the 35 lux did I finally think I had a light that was good enough and infact alot of the time I had it on the low setting and still rode along at 15mph. I only bought the Lezynes because they were USB re-chargeable (and just because ;) ) The combined 450 lumens from the Lezyne set up is plenty more than enough so those lights are always in lower modes except for on fast decents.

For the record I think the 35 lux in high is brighter than a setup comprising of two of the chinese coloured bezel cheapies. I'd guestimate around 120 -150 lumens when comparing it with other lights that quote the lumens.

I have one of these and infact recomended it a few pages back. It's funny how you say it's not bright enough for country lanes, but if you'd have been given one of these 25 years ago as a replacement for your 2 D cell Eveready would you have said the same :LOL: It's all relative.

Never had a set of Evereadys, I did have a set of these though:

Picture1.jpg

Wonder Lights, as in I wonder if I'll be able to see my front wheel and I wonder if I can afford enough batteries with my Saturday job money to last a week. Absolutely useless things, but lots of guys used them because unlike the Evereadys, you could completely remove them from the bike quickly.

For winter training, I used to fit a dynamo light system, but these were pretty useless too, the little wheels would wear out and I would blow bulbs on fast descents - being thrown into complete darkness while doing 40mph down a country lane is just what you need. :shock:

In comparison a Smart Lunar 35 and a set of rechargeable batteries would have seemed like something out of this world to me back then. I now have one of these: http://road.cc/content/review/72875-cat ... ront-light and I think it's pretty impressive now, back when I was 15 it would have blown my mind, it's probably brighter than the headlights on the first few cars I owned, however, I'd have been unlikely to have found a USB port to charge it with back in the late 80s. :D

I had Everreadys & Wonderlights in my time.

It may just be because I was a kid at the time but I don't think people cycled at night as much in those days.
Plus anyone going any distance probably had a dynamo.... now that's going back.

I'm sure someone will correct me but has no-one managed to invent a decent modern dynamo system for
bikes, what with all this hybrid technology you'd think it would be possible.

Back