What is this extra part added to a frame?

phospho

Dirt Disciple
NZ1gn87.png

The bar circled in red, is it removable? What is the extra bar called and why is it added to certain bicycles?

thanks.

That is an interesting question. I think it is a pump. Yeah, it is a pump. A frame mounted pump. They are removable. I have seen them before. This answers your question?

That is a frame pump, popular in days gone by (and still by many a retro biker) but replaced by CO2 and smaller pumps that fit in a jersey pocket.

My cycling buddy has one on his £1000 Giant carbon bike, he has 2 elastic bands which he uses to attach it to the top tube :shock: :shock:

widowmaker":2ur335yg said:
My cycling buddy has one on his £1000 Giant carbon bike, he has 2 elastic bands which he uses to attach it to the top tube :shock: :shock:

Cor, modern technology eh?

Elastic bands you say.... what will they think of next?

I have one on my Ribble Audax commuter, my Colnago CT2 (which I swap for a minipump to race), and on my Colnago Superissimo. All of them live under the top tube and are secured with velcro straps. Having a full sized pump when you need one in the back of nowhere is priceless.

Being a Dawes... it is more than likely a presto or similar small valve pump. Keep it on the bike that is my advice..

Back