old (92) zaskar tyre clearance

LongboardSi

Senior Retro Guru
Wondering if anyone knows what the biggest tyre I'm likely to get through sensibly is?

I'm building it up as a fairly hardcore bike for battering round the Dark Peak area, so looking at fitting as much rubber in the back as possible.

Ta,

Si F

I stuck a 2.5" Michelin DH tyre in last night mounted up on a 32mm wide Atomlab rim, so I think I'll stop worrying about this one.

It seems there is more room on this than many of the newer ones - seem forum comments of people who can't get bigger than a 2.1....

Si F

Re: old (92) zaskar and Pantera tyre clearance

I know I am resurrecting an old thread - but at least I am using the search function! :LOL:

I want to put new tyres on my son's extra small Pantera yet the only 2.1 tyres I have are Tioga Factory Down hills which foul on the webs of the seat stay bridge.

Is this a function of the frame size or the agressive side webs of the Tyres or indeed both?

The width of the seat stay bridge is 55mm and the tyres 57mm.

Will a less agressive 2.1 fit? if so what should I go for please?

Ideally he wants a fairly tall agressive off road tyre to maximize the cushioning effect as he runs no suspension and keeps buckling his rims.

Many thanks

the other thing to think about is how they can clear the brakes when they are unhitched, to allow the wheels to be taken on and off. i find modern 2.1s too fat and generally have to deflate them, to be able to take the wheels off the bike easily

tyres are so personal! i live in australia, so things are way dryer here etc etc. i find generally anything by maxxis or kenda is good.

currently, on my 92 i am riding 1.95 kenda nevegal folders. they fit in and out no problems, and have that skinnier retro esque look and feel.

i have run maxxis larsens front and rear also, in a 2.0 that also was easy enough to fit in and out.

i have run 2.1 kenda slant six folders front and rear. i had to let them down to get them in and out, but the grip and traction is superb, they are a really nice rounded tyre that grips well when pushed hard through corners.

maxxis cross marks are also good, and come in various width.

i have also run kenda small block eights in 2.1 and due to their tiny block size, they also went inn and out ok. they are a good tyre, but i wouldn't run them somewhere wet as they tend to clog easily then turn into skates.

thats about it off the top of my head. perhaps the best performing and most confidence inspiring tyres were the slant six. i like them a lot.

Latest posts

Back