Peugeot 753 Chorus

TotalCycling

Retro Newbie
My 'Retro themed' build is based on a Peugeot 753 frame from ca 1989. I originally wanted one of these in 1990 and I bought this one from ebay. I believe the original price in the early 90s from my then LBS was £375. This frame is in near new condition and I was very pleased to get it for £200.
I had intended to build it up with 10sp Campagnolo Record but as the top tube had a '753 Chorus' decal I decided to use mostly Chorus.
The rear spacing is 126mm and not wishing to have to spread the dropouts I asked Cliff at Royce to make a 126mm cassette hub. This allows me to use 8 sprockets of a Miche 10sp cassette. I've used a longer limit screw to stop the derailleur travelling into the spokes.
Most of the Chorus 10sp components as well as the Cinelli Grammo stem and Cinelli Nerve bars were in my spare parts collection. I bought a NOS C-Record 26.8mm seatpost from ebay Germany. The saddle is a Rolls titanium and rims are Mavic Open Pro CD. Tyre are Vittoria Corsa SC.
I used a gold coloured KMC X10SL chain as it looks like the Sedis Sport gold chains i used to have back in the day.
Weight without pedals is 8.78kg or 19.3lbs.

Attachments

• Peugeot_753_WEB.jpg
    Peugeot_753_WEB.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,788
  • Peugeot_753_ROYCE.jpg
    Peugeot_753_ROYCE.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,786
I would have thought you'd be able to go with Record considering your the owner of Total Cycling ???

Flipping 'eck mate that's bloody gorgeous.
@Nob,
lots of the cognicenti in my area are going with the retro look of chorus for their restorations; sort of " back in the day " looks without the " back in the day " gear shifting or braking!

Re: Peugeot 753 Chorus - Full spec list

Full spec is below. I could have gone Record but wanted to make use of the parts I had sitting around.

Frame: Peugeot 753
Fork: Peugeot 753

Headset: Campagnolo Chorus
Stem: Cinelli Grammo
Handlebar: Cinelli Nerve
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork

Ergo Levers: Campagnolo Chorus Carbon 10sp
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Chorus Dual Pivot
Brake Pads: Campagnolo Chorus
Brake Cables: Campagnolo

Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Daytona 28.6mm clamp
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus 10sp
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo
Cassette: Miche (8 of 10 sprockets with 10 speed spacing)
Chain: KMC X10 SL gold
Cranks: Campagnolo Chorus 10sp
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record
Pedals: N/A

Rims: Mavic Open Pro CD 32H
Hubs: Campagnolo Centaur front, Royce Custom rear
Hub Skewers: Royce Talent
Nipples: Sapim Brass
Spokes: Sapim Race DB Silver
Tyres: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CS
Tubes: Vittoria Latex

Saddle: San Marco Rolls
Seatpost: Campagnolo C-Record Aero 26.8mm
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

Bottle Cage: N/A
Extras: N/A

Weight: 19.3 lbs

Agency_Scum":2ksmt1pr said:
Flipping 'eck mate that's bloody gorgeous.
@Nob,
lots of the cognicenti in my area are going with the retro look of chorus for their restorations; sort of " back in the day " looks without the " back in the day " gear shifting or braking!

I would suggest the Athena 11 speed Gruppo in polished silver would look beautiful on this bike as this set has been nicely polished indeed & doesn't look out of place on any steel road frame. :)

Looks great mate. Seem to be a few Peugeot 753's up far sale at the moment. Your build is doing nothing to steer me away from the temptation of owning one.

I would have gone for a more traditional Cinelli stem to match the the colour on the rest of the components, but each to their own.

Cracking effort!

Good call on the Athena Nob.

@TotalCycling
as for your rear wheel...

fastshow_396x222.jpg

Looks great as it is apart from the black ergos, would fit silver with white hoods personally....

That is terrific. A very nice 'modernisation'. I've just done something similar with the model below, the 653 Athena. Are the clearances very tight on your frame too? I also used Vittoria tyres but the 25mm ones I bought were just too tight (the rear one would rub on the chainstay when out of the saddle :shock: ).

Back