Ten year restoration 96 YETI Sherpa

sd8450":qo3i1g46 said:
I am a newbie and have not seen an actual Yeti bike yet and curious to learn from the knowledgeable members. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Welcome to Retro bike buddy!

There's plenty of Yeti fans on here who are very knowledgable (far more than me)
as for the four steel frames/bike you have, you need to prepare yourself .....that will multiply over the winter whilst your wallet will get thinner as a result of finding this site

slimjoe":70bp5uf7 said:

This restoration is the most personal and important build ive done to date. I never gave up hope for the old rusty SHERPA :roll:
it was worth it ;) ...nice story and cool bike.

Retro Spud":3nmfckw9 said:
sd8450":3nmfckw9 said:
I am a newbie and have not seen an actual Yeti bike yet and curious to learn from the knowledgeable members. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Welcome to Retro bike buddy!

There's plenty of Yeti fans on here who are very knowledgable (far more than me)
as for the four steel frames/bike you have, you need to prepare yourself .....that will multiply over the winter whilst your wallet will get thinner as a result of finding this site

Thank you Retro Spud! :) I am a lurker and rarely make a post but already got bitten by the bug. I am looking at a mid 90s Yeti Pro FRO and this is why I got curious and posted the questions. It is similar to Slimjoe's bike, the only difference is the chainstay connection to the bottom bracket.

I will add a little more information soon i promise...

Did i mention i treated the inside of all the tubes with rust killer...then pumped half a tin of Dinitrol inside it ;)

The rear loopstays had no vent holes in them when new and i think moisture trapped in there had to get out somehow!! It didnt take too long on this frame unfortunately.

I think anyone wishing to maintain the integrity of an old steel frame should do something similar.

Frank drilled holes through the bottom bracket shell into the rear loopstays so any moisture can come out and the frame can breath a little. However mines that full of wax oil it will have a job :facepalm:

Also a good idea if anyone on here buys a brand new steel frameset. It is always best to treat the inside of the tubes from day 1 before the frame is built into a bike. The UK is a very, very damp environment and will destroy ferrous metal items!!! I know this from owning classic cars too.

RockiMtn":1n0v95as said:
That is one sweet restoration. Very nice Yeti! Curious what stem that is.

The stem is a Critical Racing. It is gorgeous and 1 1/4" but unfortunately a wee bit long!

slimjoe":1o9sa03z said:
I will add a little more information soon i promise...

Did i mention i treated the inside of all the tubes with rust killer...then pumped half a tin of Dinitrol inside it ;)

The rear loopstays had no vent holes in them when new and i think moisture trapped in there had to get out somehow!! It didnt take too long on this frame unfortunately.

I think anyone wishing to maintain the integrity of an old steel frame should do something similar.

Frank drilled holes through the bottom bracket shell into the rear loopstays so any moisture can come out and the frame can breath a little. However mines that full of wax oil it will have a job :facepalm:

Also a good idea if anyone on here buys a brand new steel frameset. It is always best to treat the inside of the tubes from day 1 before the frame is built into a bike. The UK is a very, very damp environment and will destroy ferrous metal items!!! I know this from owning classic cars too.

Thanks for the detailed info and subscribing to this thread! :)

No problem. Try and find a product called Fertan it treats rust and prevents further corrosion! Great for inside 20 + year old bikes

Back