Ride around Silverstone for 24hrs!!!

Never been to Olivers Mount, and Cadwell was / is just too far away.

Outlon Park... possibly my favourite circuit, and it would make a great cycling circuit.

Yes the RAF chose well when they built Silverstone; built on raised exposed topography, windy, desolate and pretty much flat. Just what you need for an airfield but probably not the most fun on a bicycle. I remember sitting in the old drafty startline grandstands in the early '80s watching SD1s and Capris in the Touring Car Championship, wrapped in blankets, sipping on their gloopy soup and freezing our nuts off. Would be good fun cycling a couple of laps but maybe not for 24hrs..

NeilM":1c8w8vi1 said:

Outlon Park... possibly my favourite circuit, and it would make a great cycling circuit.

There are/were regular road races at Oulton Park. I raced there in the mid 60's. We tried it first week clockwise like the motors race but the finish was to short. Following events were anti-clockwise which was much better. I remember the hairpin having a very deep drop off the tarmac surface on the inside, very nasty if your front wheel got into it. I see now that it has been filled in with a rumble strip.

I've got a photo somewhere from the first ever bike race there. It chucked it down with rain!

Old Ned":2mp2tvhi said:
NeilM":2mp2tvhi said:

There are/were regular road races at Oulton Park. I raced there in the mid 60's. We tried it first week clockwise like the motors race but the finish was to short. Following events were anti-clockwise which was much better. I remember the hairpin having a very deep drop off the tarmac surface on the inside, very nasty if your front wheel got into it. I see now that it has been filled in with a rumble strip.

I've got a photo somewhere from the first ever bike race there. It chucked it down with rain!

Found it! I'm the one in the hat hydrating myself with the drips from the peak. Not sure who the others are but the guy next to me is wearing an Oldham Century jersey I think. All pre-helmet days of course.

I think the pits look a bit different now, this was 1966.

Attachments

• PaulOultonPark66.A.jpg
    PaulOultonPark66.A.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 927
NeilM":3t9lwmyx said:
I've raced cars on the club circuit (different from the GP circuit) and it cost me a lot less than £150.

Oulton Park would be a lot more interesting, Mallory would be much better for spectators, as would Castle Combe, where they already run crits. Now Brands Hatch, that would be a circuit, especially if they ran it the wrong way round as Paddock Hill bend is much steeper than it looks on the telly.

I'll have a think about it, but £150 is an awful lot of money just to ride round a big criterium circuit.

Mallory has just gone bust.this is a shame because my local cycling club uses it Thursday night for a 2 hour training run.i was hoping to get down to some,but will see what happens.cost is £2

Back