Bicycle Academy fillet brazing masterclass,anyone done it?

mullinino

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Yep,what the hell....I'm going to become the only custom framebuilder in the whole of Ireland. Don't bother trying to put me off,I'm a stubborn bugger.Have any one of you good people or any of your pals/enemies been on any of the courses with The Bicycle Academy,esp this one....?

http://www.thebicycleacademy.org/course ... sterclass/

-would love to hear about it if ye have....

big ta's,p.

Re: Bicycle Academy fillet brazing masterclass,anyone done i

nope but don't let that stop you. Home building is perfectly possible. i have build 6 now. all fillet brazed. I did some courses at my local tech /night school to learn fillet brazing and Tig welding. then its just practice.

Let me know if you do go if its worth the money. And if you want any info on frame building let me know. Also i think Danson67 also build some very nice bikes too and he is on here.

best place to get tubes is from
Peter at http://framebuilding.com/

cheers
Pete

Yup, I'm happy to help with any questions.

Hoping to get around to doing the Fillet Masterclass too, maybe before Christmas. I've never been much good at that big brass fillet stuff.

Brian Curtis has always been a bit of an idol for me, too. I like the way they are simply efficient and entirely adequate His fillets are beautiful enough in the raw (even on my rusty 30yr old Curtis Expert BMX)....none of that endless filing just to hide the hand of a master and look like everyone else's fillets:
f4aee6a9.jpg

I absolutely need to know how to do that!

All the best,

I did the classic framebuilding course. Andrew is a very good teacher.

Thanks a million guys,all helpful and I'll definitely be bending your collective ears over the coming winter until I get on my feet.....Pete,I'd love to hear how you got up and running esp. with regards to what equipment I REALLY need-I'd like to keep it as bare-bones as possible rather than relying on anything too fancy/expensive....Dan I'm totally with you on Mr. Curtis,and you've got me thinking now that a smooth/filed finish might not be the route I eventually go down,smooth does look nice but is a wee bit generic,signature welds are the way to go! (plus no hours on end filing!) Cce,I'd love to know if you've taken it outside of the classroom and built anything since?

Thanks again lads,I really do appreciate it,expect pm's aplenty and I'd love to see some of your builds-

Ta,p.

I've not. But that's only a reflection of my circumstances.

I did the frame building course last October and it was ace. Been dabbling with the brazing stuff at work since, and planning on building my first frame in the next year.

Be aware that I was chatting to Brian at the Bespoke Bristol show, and he's taken a bit of a back seat from doing the actual teaching now that he's trained Andrew and another guy up. He said that teaching was getting him into bad habits! He still does some courses, but not all.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back