nishiki e-stay.

The whole Nishiki story is an interesting one. Getting the Mba magazine BITD, reading the articles the test reviews, seeing the ads, im sure im not the only one... :oops: Especially when the E-stay became the Buzz. (Cunningham/Mantis/Nishiki)

In fact the story of the "Cohen" Family and West Coast Cycle will make an interesting read for anyone who was interested, fair play to them, I was riveted.

This bike may be a Nishiki, yet a model than ran alongside the Independent bike shops line, but for the department store chains, it may have been a model destined/or Originally badged Raleigh who knows it could be a stamped Nishiki frame that originally bore Univega decals, without the frame number its difficult to know. Its all best guess this far after the fact. It could be a factory weld, or it could be a repaired frame that's clearly Covered in thick black powdercoat with Nishiki decals added in replacement for the originals. (the original owner fully aware of the lineage of the brand.)

We may never Know..

But I would like to know the frame number to see if it was a Japanese frame or a Taiwanese frame.

Cant help loving a Nishiki...., (boyhood dreams... :oops: :cool: )
I think the cool green one below may have been a members.... :cool: :cool:

Attachments

• 90NishikiAlien_1.jpg
    90NishikiAlien_1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 979
  • DSC06436.jpg
    DSC06436.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 979
  • 90NishikiAlien_2.jpg
    90NishikiAlien_2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 979
Its not an Alien, or a Cascade or a Barbarian or even an Ariel.

There must be someone out there that Knows what it is....?

Attachments

• 1088RC.jpg
    1088RC.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 974
this is same frame that dale cooper had, it has the same handle bar & seat post, so the stem & fork must also be the same.
i have taken a pic of the serial number.
my plan for the build is a mix of DX & XT.
i would like to find a nice rigid straight blade fork, or maybe something with a little bounce ?
but for the time being it will have the original rigid fork.
i was hoping to build it up this weekend but sadly i don't have a 34.9 bp front mech.
so i'll have to be a little more patient.
i'd be interested if someone can find the origin of the frame maker,
if only to give it a proper identity.

Attachments

• IMG_5540.JPG
    IMG_5540.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 952
spent a little time putting some wheels & saddle on the bike.
some brake levers & thumbies turned up today.

Attachments

• IMG_5542.JPG
    IMG_5542.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 899
  • IMG_5543.JPG
    IMG_5543.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 899
Really liking this one.

Maybe it's just the angle of that pic, but it looks really compact. What's the wheelbase? I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 42".

I Like it!
judging by the Rose signature it's a model for european /german market
Front mech cable routing converter could say that frame is pre '92 (that's the year when was introduced top pull front mech in Shimano offer), so looking for rapidfire STIs I guess it'll be 91 (90 will probably have push-push STI)
You can remove the fork - in mine Nishiki (also for german market with Rose signature) I had stamp with date in fork's steerer tube

Given the country of Origin before the new owner, It certainly could have been "Distributed" by Rose. Of that's there is little doubt.

Im struggling with this frame number, it doesn't say to me Giant nor Kawamura to me, which is throwing me well off, as well as the gusset.

Whos the head honch on this site with frame numbers, Antony is it...? can anybody point to the manufacturer...?

91 for sure, but im buggered if I have ever seen a box like this one at the front end. Not in 91 on an estay..... :?

Maybe this was a model for mail order.....Quite intriguing. :cool:

skolioza":10e2wax0 said:
I Like it!
judging by the Rose signature it's a model for european /german market
Front mech cable routing converter could say that frame is pre '92 (that's the year when was introduced top pull front mech in Shimano offer), so looking for rapidfire STIs I guess it'll be 91 (90 will probably have push-push STI)
You can remove the fork - in mine Nishiki (also for german market with Rose signature) I had stamp with date in fork's steerer tube

Do you have a pic...? did it have the pierced/stub behind the seat tube too...?

The country of origin is the Netherlands but we live close to the german border. I can email the previous owner to see where he bought it. Maybe that helps.

Latest posts

Back