Road Groupset Question: Shimano Di2 vs SRAM Red

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This is a question about modern kit, so thought it best to post it here.

I have been lucky enough to get a bit of a personal unicorn; a Rourke 853 road frame. I really like Jason's work and having spoken to him at Bespoked Bristol I put a Rourke frame on my list of 'must have before you're too old to ride a bike' list. Luckily, a refinished frame came up for sale and I now have it.

So, a fine frame deserves the best build and my automatic choice was SRAM red, as it's light, reliable and as I am already a SRAM owner and fan. But, then along has come some pretty impressive deals on Shimano Di2 Ultegra and all of a sudden I'm not sure which way to go.

My requirements are pretty simple; 10 speed is fine, robust, light and reliable.

I already know a bit about SRAM Red, as my son has this setup on his Boardman, and has covered thousands of kilometre's on it so far, although he did chicken out of the £200 plus cost when he wore his first cassette out.

So, who has either or both and what opinions can you give me.

Try di2 if you can it really is pretty amazing Neil. Your welcome to come up and have a go on mine if you are passing too.

I cant comment on Red never tried it or Sram for that matter.

The only other thing I will say if you have never tried di2 for more than a ride around the carpark dont past comment on it !! :roll: :D

How does Di2 compare to mechanical systems Dave?

Is the advantage all in the speed, or the fact you are not actually having to pull cables to shift gears, or both.

Personally I'd avoid anything which needs a battery. 450 miles between charges, I'd prefer not to have one more thing to remember...charge my gears. :?

It all smacks to me of technology for technology's sake. I'm sure it works very well, but what exactly is the problem with mechanical systems that it is intended to solve?

I'm not worried about the batteries; I raced 1/8th and 1/5th scale RC cars for quite a few years, and even including T bone accidents, I can't remember a single battery failure problem.

My worry is that I will fit Di2 to one bike and will then be dissatisfied with all the others. Also I am trying to build a light, steel bike and batteries carry a weight penalty.

However, as only Dave has made any comment, I'm guessing not too many folks here have either.

The battery charging is really not an issue I have charged three times in 2000+ miles and all three times none were actually showing low battery. Only negative`s of battery is extra weight and bit of an i-sore if not hidden well.

Now this sounds weird Neil to try and answer your question, yes the Cervelo with DI2 is such a slick gear changing machine compared to all the other mechanical road/cross bikes but when on the other bikes I dont think god I wish I was on Di2 :D (well you do sometimes :LOL: )

If I was building a modern super bike without a doubt it would have Di2 :cool:

If your coming over for the brewery ride and fit on a 54cm your welcome to ride it Neil?

daj":r5x5tpcj said:
If your coming over for the brewery ride and fit on a 54cm your welcome to ride it Neil?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not and I won't.

I'm keeping my eye on a few offers at present, with Di2 still high on the list.

check that you can route the Di2 cables neatly on the Rourke frame. I have noticed that modern road bikes are marketed as being 'Di2 ready', presumably if it's not ready its out with the cable ties which will look shabby IMO.

You should add Campagnolo Chorus or Record onto your list :cool:

i think the deals you have seen on DI 2 are for the 10 speed version.but for 2014 ultegra DI 2 gose to eleven speed so maybe if you hang on neil you might get a bargin. i have just started to get a campag centure 10 speed group for my new dolan which are i am than impressed with. as adrian said the the chorus group is real nice but costs plenty

we have chatted about SRAM before neil..............i have nothing new to add

You're right about the cables Adrian, they would have to be routed on the outside of the frame, which may be why I've been finding it hard to press the 'go' button. That said, if there are gains to be had, either in performance or weight, then I'm keen to take advantage of them.

Regarding Campag; I already have a set of Shimano Dura-Ace carbon 1380 wheels for the bike, so that set the build off in a certain direction.

Matt; vive la difference! :mrgreen:

Back