Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 7

Re: Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 5

The History Man":1veo05g9 said:
How very apt that the hundredth post on this thread concludes the tale.

My Father In-law Les Brown reunited with his trusty steed. Seventy eight and sixty years young respectively.

And both looking very well! Just read through the thread - can't imagine why I've not done so before :?

You've done an excellent job with it, good to see that you've retained the original finish. It's only original once!

But - the rear mech you have seems to be a NUOVO Gran Sport, about 20 years or more to recent for the bike. You need an original Gran Sport like this -

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 8&AbsPos=2

Yours appears to be this one -

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 8&AbsPos=3

However, if it works for you, then it's OK. Owners have always tended to upgrade fittings as time passes so why not the rear mech.

Thanks. Les has now gone home to browse the site.

Yes you're right about the rear mech. I wasn't aware so thanks for pointing it out. Thought I was buying the right thing. It does work well so will be left fitted as the old one was a pain. This will only be for occasional use and as you can see, won't be entering any concourse competitions so i wont be losing any points. :)

top job THM!! you really have got some flair when it comes to retro......
most truly impressed with this

Nice, that's got me juices going for my not a Dawes Olympic whatever it is bike, coming soon....

Glad to be of service. To think I only got back into this in march. Aren't OCDs wonderful!

Telling me, 3556 posts since March !!! :shock: :shock:

And I ride them too. Not the posts, the bikes.

Back