DIY Brush Painted 1996 Kona Cinder Cone

bikey :)

Old School Hero
Never had a Kona and fancied trying one out, since they seem to be well regarded here and elsewhere. Found a 1996 Cinder Cone frame on ebay for a buy it now price of forty quid so I snapped it up.
The frame was in reasonable enough condition but needed a paint job. Rust had gotten hold from untreated stone chips, scrapes and whatever else. Pitting was evident, along with wee rust worms which had worked their way around under the paint.
I borrowed an angle gringer with a wire brush attached from a pal and took the bulk of old paint off with this. Bits I couldn't reach were tackled with 60 grit wet n dry paper.
Once I was satisfied with my efforts I brush painted the frame.
I used humbrol midnight blue enamel lightened up a bit with some of their french blue.
After a few days drying time I wet sanded the paint with 1200 wet n dry then polished with silvo, and finally some furniture polish.
Stickers are from an outfit known as graphic shack. I ordered them from ebay.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 791
And another, just trying to get the hang of this posting pics malarky

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 772
That looks brilliant :D
Can you post some close-ups of the paint?
Got an old Diamond Back on its way to me & i might give the brush paint a go.

Also like the idea of the seat clamp for a rear brake cable guide.

I'll try to post better pictures. They look better on my picasa suite than here, but I've had to re-size in order to post them.
I'll try taking a few close up shots though...
Using a seat clamp as a brake cable guide was an idea I picked up from this very site. The originals, I understand, are rare nowadays and pricey too, so I sought a cheaper alternative.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 748
using sellotape as a chainstay protector 'till I get my finger out and order something proper

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 746
That's amazing !
I brush painted a racing bike as a kid and if you're careful you can get quite a nice finish.

That's the second brush painted bike I've seen on here in the last couple weeks and I'm amazed by how good they look. How hard is it to achieve good results?

Back