claud butler lugged reynolds something. pics!

Hello,

I've found a Claud Butler bike in a local ad. It seems like it was made from two type of tubes, and these are connected together with a very specific manner. I attached a pic of a connection. Can anyone suggest that which type of tubes was used to make this bike?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Claud_Butler.jpg
    Claud_Butler.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 917
Yes, but not too good ones...

Attachments

• Claud_Butler_2.jpg
    Claud_Butler_2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 894
  • Claud_Butler_4.jpg
    Claud_Butler_4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 894
My guess - no more than that - is that it's just a design feature. Sometimes you get aluminium bonded into cromo 'lugs' like a Raleigh technium but that looks all aluminium to me.

xerxes":1cinr49n said:
that looks all aluminium to me.

Nah, that's steel, those welds are too small for aluminium.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the "lugs" are made from steel, I'm certain, as well as the rear triangle. But the three main tubes are from different material. These tubes are suspicious, and have titanium-like looking...

xerxes":2023acf7 said:
that looks all aluminium to me.

Nah, that's steel, those welds are too small for aluminium.

:facepalm: so it is. I assumed aluminium and even looked at the welds to check - fooled myself!

So if the lugs etc are steel and the tubes aren't I'd say that's a pretty unusual CB so I'm sure there's some detail online or someone'll know

Yes, very unusual. Have you tested the tubes and lugs with a magnet?

It looks as though the frame is bonded, much like a Raleigh Dynatech.

Maybe you should start a new thread to see if anyone can identify it. Those diamond details at the end of the tubes are quite distinctive; someone will know what it is.

Back