Missing cat - I'm gutted - FOUND HIM

Re: Missing cat - I'm gutted

dbmtb":2y8a3qz6 said:
Cats just break your goddamn heart.
+1
About 20 years ago, I found a helpless, starving little kitten that fit in the palm of my hand, and I took it in and raised it, and I let him come and go as he pleased. I brought him with me a couple of years later when I moved to Cali, and after another year he disappeared, and it tore me apart. I swore I'd never again get attached to another cat, but within a couple more years, another starving little kitten came up to my doorway, so I fed him before I left for work. when I returned over 9 hours later, there he was waiting for me, and so the story repeated itself. A couple years later, another heartbreak when he never returned one day.

About 10 years ago, I moved to the California high desert, and recently one of my neighbor's barn cats had been coming around. I wanted to let him know he was welcome there (I had an ulterior motive - I wanted him to kill any mice that might be near my house), so I fed him a couple of times. He always kept his distance, as he never fully trusted me. Well, a couple of Saturdays ago, I left one of my sheds open all day, but I forgot to check if he was in there when I closed it up that night. Friday morning, 5 1/2 days later, I was getting ready for work and I see his little head pop up in the window of the shed. I got him out of the shed right away and he looked to be OK, so perhaps he feasted on mice and bugs while he was in there. I immediately fed him some premium albacore canned tuna because I felt so guilty. I saw him the next day and fed him some chicken, and the next day some barbeque pork ribs. The day after that he started rubbing up against me wanting more food, and now I can't get rid of him! :LOL: I figure I'll keep him fed just enough to hang around and keep the mice away, but I'm going to keep my distance from him because I don't want another heart break.

It's my sincerest hope that the OP gets his cat back soon. It never occurred to me that cats could go missing because they get trapped in sheds until I accidentally trapped one in mine.

I agree with Salsprocket and 02gf74; be proactive. Knock on neighbors doors, explain the situation to them , and ask if they can check their sheds, basements, etc. when they get a chance (They surely don't want you snooping in there, but they might not have reason to open them for a long time unless you ask them to do it on your behalf). Be sure to leave your contact info with every one of them. Start with immediate neighbors and then eventually to every neighbor within a few blocks radius from your house (the distance a cat would typically wander from home).

Best of luck to you.

I sincerely hope he turns up safe and well mate. My furry friend (Gus) has taken himself off on a few extended overnighters in the eight years I've had him, they do like to wander.
3a45ff1c0c48f07638994a81a6a94c8e_zpscbb85108.jpg

my two cats are 16...

have had them since the frantic phone calls from the missus to say that they were being born on her bed - her boss had asked her to look after her pregnant cat for a week. It gave birth that night.

Hope all goes well, accidentally locked ours away a few times.

legrandefromage":me2jzpi1 said:
my two cats are 16...

have had them since the frantic phone calls from the missus to say that they were being born on her bed - her boss had asked her to look after her pregnant cat for a week. It gave birth that night.

Hope all goes well, accidentally locked ours away a few times.

:shock: My, I thought my cat had had a long life at 1, had her from 7 till 21 my dad found some starved kittens at a house he was collecting children from and he gave me the most scruffiest, bedraggled one of the lot so I called her Tatty, she was my faithful companion and I've never felt the same for any other moggie. I had an artist paint her years ago and I have one and my mum has the other.

I know how hard it is to loose your animal best friend, I hope you find her soon AdamAsh.

Alison

GREAT NEWS

got up this morning & could hear meowing at back door.

Just walked back in as if nothing has happened.

Eaten 2 sachets of food now asleep. Looks a bit thin but no damage to him

So happy is an understatement

:mrgreen:

Was scared to look when I saw it was you posting.

Back