ID 1980s Carlton frame with cantilever brakes + bosses

derailled

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I just unpacked an old Carlton frame and noted the rear chainstays are different than my 70s Carlton to allow the fitment of cantilever brake bosses and the 80s C. brakes.In effect narrowing the rear fork somewhat. Imagine a loop Carlton Raleigh frame of the 70s with the top of the loop nipped off. The tapered parts of the swage on the chainstays are brazed onto the rear of the seatpost at the top below the pinch bolt.
C.Bosses on the front forks also and no H/L mount brazeon.

It has no frame number on the BBS except an 'X'. There is however a 5-6 digit number on the rear LHS dropout[full of paint].Cannot make it out clearly.
Paint is a crude met blue and appears unoriginal.
One Pump brazeon is seatpost top mounted[mounts perp to ground].These are always bent. Same as my 74.
Most other parts are not original as it has been changed to a form of fixie configuration.
The front DR is Suntour.The rear D is Shimano 600 arabesque.
The frame has no chrome lugs. It ressembles my 74 Carlton frame at the front and the dropouts. Brazeons on top tube are the same.
Chainset is mainly Shimano 600 but a different chainwheel than I have seen before.
Bracket mounted shifters on front tube.
Rear hub is a Mallard and front is from a Shimano hubbed Morrison[nz assembled]. They all have those Norman /Suzie copy large spools with elongated holes in them.Rims are mismatched with alloy and chrome steel.I will mate up something with the Mallard perhaps?
I have a few MTBs with these C.brakes like wings such as an all chrome Mongoose ATB and it is about 1983 -85 .Worldrider 'Mountainbike' and Scwhinn Mesa Runner.
That is about the only date reference I have but Sheldon Brown's site indicates the numbering repeated so there may be a year numeric on the rear dropout such as 1 - 3 or similar.
I thought I could find many pictures of this frame on flickr etc, but nothing.
Does anyone know what it is?
Pictures added as much as I can today.Comparo to Raleigh Royale frame chainstays [red[]and that iof a C. Corsa[green].

Attachments

• 100_4704.JPG
    100_4704.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 711
  • 100_4722.JPG
    100_4722.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 711
  • 100_4723.JPG
    100_4723.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 712
  • 100_4724.JPG
    100_4724.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 714
  • 100_4714.JPG
    100_4714.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 712
  • 100_4709.JPG
    100_4709.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 711
  • 100_4710.JPG
    100_4710.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 711
  • 100_4702.JPG
    100_4702.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 711
Can't think of any Carlton that left the factory with cantilever brake bosses....... memory is faded here but don't even recall any of the Carlton Team bikes used for cyclo cross having canti-bosses (center pulls only). Pump pegs would only dig in your shoulder when carrying the thing so possibly a touring frame but these had headlamp bosses most of the time. I think pics are going to be the winner here......

Shaun

Here's a pic (top one) of John Atkins riding for the Marsh & Baxter* team in the early 70s. Whilst not in Carlton colours the head badge suggests his bike is a Worksop product....and it does have canti brakes.

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/racers/jatkins.html

David

*A now-defunct sausage factory in Brierley Hill. Midlanders of a certain age might recall the name.

Midlife":17f16hhm said:
Never saw that bike in a factory brochure though :).

Shaun

True. Bikes for Joe Public are one thing, ones for top-level riders a rather different one*!

David

*Although Trek always trumpeted the fact that their OCLV machines supplied to US Postal were off-the-peg. Not that they have owt to trumpet about any more....

Hi David,

Many thanks for those faulous pictures however I think these are the earlier Weimann centre pull cantilever?
The brakes I am talking about are usually found on MTBs or ATBs as they were called.
I am wondering if someone has actually modifed the old frame to get newer brakes?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here is the frame number location in the pictures
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

David B":n6fqrlw9 said:
Here's a pic (top one) of John Atkins riding for the Marsh & Baxter* team in the early 70s. Whilst not in Carlton colours the head badge suggests his bike is a Worksop product....and it does have canti brakes.

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/racers/jatkins.html

David

*A now-defunct sausage factory in Brierley Hill. Midlanders of a certain age might recall the name.

Attachments

• 100_4701.JPG
    100_4701.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 710
  • 100_4713.JPG
    100_4713.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 710
Hi Shaun,

Yes many bikes slipped through wothout being in a brochure( :
I must get these pictures done.

Midlife":1q30xc66 said:
Never saw that bike in a factory brochure though :).

Shaun

derailled":14qat4kz said:
Hi David,

Many thanks for those faulous pictures however I think these are the earlier Weimann centre pull cantilever?
The brakes I am talking about are usually found on MTBs or ATBs as they were called.
I am wondering if someone has actually modifed the old frame to get newer brakes?

[/quote]

You're not talking about 'U Brakes' are you? I think the bosses for these are spaced differently to cantis.

*I certainly do - and wasn't really aware that they had gone.

I do like a nice sausage.

Back