Small modern bike for the wife - opinions wanted

Would you consider New?
I have :
GT Avalanche 3 cable disc, small, new in box
Saracen killi team, green, newly assembled not ridden
Felt, fit woman, small, new, assembled not ridden

Pm for tel no if interested, all £300 posted.

Back in 2003 my then girlfriend (and now wife :LOL: ) liked the idea of cycling but hadn't done much for years, she's 5ft and not particularly long legged, she ended up with a new Trek albeit a 2002 model, 14", and WSD (women specific design) although it was close with a slightly better Trek, not WSD with disks. Some of the geometries really didn't fit and things like reach to brake levers etc made a big difference.

We got it at Evans in The Cut at Waterloo who were brilliant in terms of measuring her, digging out various bikes for trying and, as they didn't have many of the really small built, building lots more. We also tried a couple of other shops for greater variety. She ended up with the one that she liked and felt best on, and ended up using it quite a lot including to cycle across central London to go to work before we moved out, ie not just a fad. I think going to somewhere with a wide selection will give a chance to try, there is a huge variation we found in even the very small bikes.

joss":27ltjmzw said:
Would you consider New?
I have :

I googled the Kili Team and couldn't find it! Which Felt model is that one? I think to be honest they are probably a bit lower down the scale than I want to go. I'm looking at £550-600 for a new bike but would by far prefer to go down the used route so I can get more for my money.

daugs":3m1dss9m said:
Back in 2003 my then girlfriend (and now wife :LOL: ) liked the idea of cycling but hadn't done much for years, she's 5ft and not particularly long legged, she ended up with a new Trek albeit a 2002 model, 14", and WSD (women specific design) although it was close with a slightly better Trek, not WSD with disks. Some of the geometries really didn't fit and things like reach to brake levers etc made a big difference.

We got it at Evans in The Cut at Waterloo who were brilliant in terms of measuring her, digging out various bikes for trying and, as they didn't have many of the really small built, building lots more. We also tried a couple of other shops for greater variety. She ended up with the one that she liked and felt best on, and ended up using it quite a lot including to cycle across central London to go to work before we moved out, ie not just a fad. I think going to somewhere with a wide selection will give a chance to try, there is a huge variation we found in even the very small bikes.

In an ideal world we would go check out a few new bikes, even if it was only to decide on what to look for in the used market. Unfortunately living only a few miles from Lands End limits us a little without a long journey :LOL:

raidan73":2sgwki05 said:
In an ideal world we would go check out a few new bikes, even if it was only to decide on what to look for in the used market. Unfortunately living only a few miles from Lands End limits us a little without a long journey :LOL:

Knowing she is ok on the Kona is a long way ahead of where we were, interestingly I saw your thread about an upgrade and was wondering about something retro for the mrs, but I would still say, if at all possible, some test rides would be good, even if takes a bit of organising before mayhem or some other event. As I mentioned even things like size and reach of brake levers etc made a difference as well as crank length needing 170 or even 165.

daugs":3y3vseis said:
raidan73":3y3vseis said:

Knowing she is ok on the Kona is a long way ahead of where we were, interestingly I saw your thread about an upgrade and was wondering about something retro for the mrs, but I would still say, if at all possible, some test rides would be good, even if takes a bit of organising before mayhem or some other event. As I mentioned even things like size and reach of brake levers etc made a difference as well as crank length needing 170 or even 165.

Did I mention the other problem? She wants it yesterday :LOL:

raidan73":2ohs67da said:
I have thought about the Cowan and similar but she really wants something she could ride comfortably few a few hours. There's a nice little Chameleon on ebay just now but £175 for frame only seems a bit steep!

The Chameleon back end is as stiff as a very stiff thing, so everything about the Cowan applies to it too.
However, they both have space to accommodate biggish (2.35") tyres and if you run these at low pressures ( in the region of 20psi) that'll do more to absorb trail harshness than having a more "forgiving" frame would.

Would you consider New?
I have :

Bit of a Long shot but have you still got the killi team?

I've faced the same challenge with my wife and eldest some who at 13 is very tall for his age.

I built up a nice spesh for my wife, around a 12 inch frame, slx 10x1, hope brakes, hubs, headset etc and after various other attempts (tiny clockwork, dmr with 24 inch wheels) she was happy with it.

My son's current bike is a spesh hardrock, but I upgraded it with Sid's, deore 10x1, discs, Mavic crosstalk, Thompson etc and it's a really nice, light build. He's outgrown it so need to move it on.

I do have a small ti airborne frame I was going to build up for my youngest son, but he's got a nice GT BMX he's happy with so might let that go unless it appeals to my wife as a frame change for the spesh.

Back