Clipless merits

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for all the input peeps, my platforms are now awaiting a more appreciative owner ;)

Given there's so little apparent difference, I'll look for some 520s/540s as suggested, and pick the least-painful-looking shoes off eBay.

Go try some shoes on, not just random buy. Shimano's MT- are quite comfortable.
ALDI/LIDL can be comfortable and cheap if you have them over there.
Sizes can be up or down as I found out. Width is often the problem if you need wider shoes.

Each to their on style though.

FluffyChicken":3lyxk764 said:
Sizes can be up or down as I found out. Width is often the problem if you need wider shoes.

+1 on Aldi/Lidl. I have some I bought several years ago, they were £15 or so. Still going strong after 3+ years of commuting. Not the lightest, or the prettiest, or the waterproof-est. But close enough for Retro.

grogee":1yk1cspb said:
FluffyChicken":1yk1cspb said:

+1 on Aldi/Lidl. I have some I bought several years ago, they were £15 or so. Still going strong after 3+ years of commuting. Not the lightest, or the prettiest, or the waterproof-est. But close enough for Retro.

I really liked my Lidls shoes, but I got fed up with looking like I was off on a hike every time I cycled into town. Bought some Chrome Kursk Pros which look great, but they aren't as comfortable if walking several miles.

I have a psychological issue with my feet being attached to the pedals. I have tried spds twice on different occasions and toe straps aswell but on every occasion I crash. Yet when I ride on flats my feet never come off the pedals and so have no need to detach foot from pedal and toe dab. So why cant I ride spd's. I get a feeling of terror if I cant detach my feet but feel fine if I can but dont need to.
Weird

I've been riding SPD's since the early 90's and have fallen maybe 3 times on them. I too ride them loose.

I've mostly ridden Shimano and have been very happy with them except when I cheaped out and bought the cheapie OE ones for my commuter. I find they can be sticky to get out of and one of them literally exploded when I tried to clip in one day.

I just had to junk my first generation Shimano's as I couldn't rebuild them any longer. I just ride mountain bike ones on all my bikes. I've got flats on my free ride bike because I like to be able to get off that bike quick. I do miss the bunny hop benefits of the SPD's while trail riding though. the one downside for me is that its a bit of a pain to just hop on the bike in my civvies and head to the shop at the spur of the moment.

dirttorpedo":12cw4r0j said:
I've been riding SPD's since the early 90's and have fallen maybe 3 times on them. I too ride them loose.

I've mostly ridden Shimano and have been very happy with them except when I cheaped out and bought the cheapie OE ones for my commuter. I find they can be sticky to get out of and one of them literally exploded when I tried to clip in one day.

I just had to junk my first generation Shimano's as I couldn't rebuild them any longer. I just ride mountain bike ones on all my bikes. I've got flats on my free ride bike because I like to be able to get off that bike quick. I do miss the bunny hop benefits of the SPD's while trail riding though. the one downside for me is that its a bit of a pain to just hop on the bike in my civvies and head to the shop at the spur of the moment.

not cool but they work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-SM-PD ... 2a302a16b6

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
it's the best way to ride. the push/pull pedal action is the best.

tintin40":22jdxoxl said:
it's the best way to ride. the push/pull pedal action is the best.
Except almost nobody pushes and pulls consistently. Is more like push, "lift your feet as fast as possible to get them out of the way"

Back