Does anyone know what I've bought? (a Cinelli of some kind)

Re: Does anyone know what I've bought? (a Cinelli of some ki

Excel":1chftwcb said:
Old Ned":1chftwcb said:
If it says Cinelli 'at the bottom of the frame' then it could be built with a Cinelli bottom bracket shell - which all sorts of builders used. It doesn't 'look' Cinelli, mainly because of the seat cluster, but it could still be a decent frame. As you say, the frame transfers look to modern.

Decent fittings on it though, as already stated above by others.

I agree it could be a "bitza bike" albeit quite a nice one with some original period components but I think it would be more attractive if you replaced the pedals and bars (very hipster style!) the jury is out on whether it's a genuine Cinelli but you could try the Cinelli Register to check frame numbers
<< http://www.cinelliregistry.org/ >>
good luck with your search

Thank you - and I'm fairly dubious about the hipster style too...

Apart from the frame number, is there an easy way of checking whether it's a genuine Cinelli when I pick it up? From what people say, I think for the price I've paid, I can probably sell on the components and the frame for whatever it's worth and not make a loss - but as it was advertised as a Cinelli I would presumably be within my rights to cancel the deal if it isn't one?

There's no easy way to identify a Cinelli if it doesn't tell you itself it is one. But usually they do.
Cinelli was and is a rather proud brand. Their products tend to show off their origin. So you will in most cases find particular features (such as the aforementioned seat cluster) or direct references (engraved logos etc.).
Don't be too disappointed if it isn't a Cinelli as it most probably won't be. Many frames of that era featured Cinelli bottom bracket shells and even more frames were miraculously turned into Colnagos, Cinellis, Pinarellos, etc. after a respray by just adding their decals.
Anyway, it could be an interesting bicycle all the same. I wouldn't concentrate too much on the brand. You should rather try to find out more about the state frame and components are in. Take a set of Allen keys with you and see if you manage to move the seatpost and the stem. And take a close look at the frame, too. Does it have any damages? Why the respray? Is the fork original? Is it straight etc.? That's actually much more important than the brand, especially if you want to ride the bicycle and not just look at it.
But sorry, you probably know all these things yourself. It's just what I do and ask when I go and fetch a bike.
Good luck anyway.

Hi there here are some pictures of a vintage Cinelli super corse i sold a few weeks ago,

Hope they are of some use to you.....

OZB5I2j.jpg

DBeX1dp.jpg

nyJ9Uv3.jpg

kTrz4BZ.jpg

JA9vHGd.jpg

s90dhHA.jpg

Jeeves offers very good advice above.

Personally I think it's very unlikely to be a Cinelli but it does look to be a quality frame judging from the seat cluster and lack of mudguard eyes.

I think what you paid is reasonable, good if it's all Campag (front mech is Shimano for sure), if you find that a lot of parts are SR you probably paid over the odds....I don't think it would be unreasonable to haggle when you get there. Personally I'd want to pay when I see rather than in advance.

Tel":2y38kyuv said:
I don't think it would be unreasonable to haggle when you get there. Personally I'd want to pay when I see rather than in advance.

It was an Ebay auction so the price is set? I have never tried haggling after the fact on an auction unless an item was misrepresented. But if others have done this I would be interested to know.

Steven

Generally not but if the item is not as described then you have the right to decline the item, unless the seller is willing to take a little less. Personally it's not in my nature, I made the bid and whether I'm happy or not I'll pay the agreed amount. Haggling is not my strong point, hence why I'm not too good at cycle jumbles....

Right then.

Looking at the add on eBay (I had been watching it) you have paid £164 for a "Cinelli bike with Campagnolo gears".

What you appear to have bought is as follows;

1. A decent quality frame with a Cinelli bottom bracket shell (worth £80+ if in good condition)
2. A campagnolo NR rear mech (worth £30+)
3. Campagnolo GS (not NR) chainset - with caps (chainset worth £50+ and caps £25)
4. Cinelli Record Stem (if in good condition, £10 to £20)
5. Possibly a Campagnolo seat stem (worth £25+)
6. Campagnolo gear levers (worth £15+)

The brakes are not Campagnolo as they are right hand pull (Campagnolo are left hand). They appear to be more 'basic' Weinmann brakes.

The frame appears to have a dent in the right hand seat stay too - although this is quite clear in the photo. This would cost about £20 for somewhere like Mercian to fill if you were to have it resprayed.

So all in all, you have paid about the right price, albeit at the top end of what it is worth - even if the frame is not an actual Cinelli.

Hope this helps.

Theoldfm":1055tq5r said:
Right then.
What your appear to have bought is as follows;

1. A decent quality frame with a Cinelli bottom bracket shell (worth £80+ if in good condition)
2. A campagnolo NR rear mech (worth £30+)
3. Campagnolo GS (not NR) chainset - with caps (chainset worth £50+ and caps £25)
4. Cinelli Record Stem (if in good condition, £10 to £20)
5. Possibly a Campagnolo seat stem (worth £25+)
6. Campagnolo gear levers (worth £15+)

The brakes are not Campagnolo as they are right hand pull (Campagnolo are left hand). They appear to be more 'basic' Weinmann brakes.

I picked the bike up yesterday, and you are utterly spot on about all of the above. I'm amazed by the depth of knowledge you guys have. The frame feels nice and light - it'd be interesting to compare it for weight to my Raleigh Competition which is made from Reynolds 501 SL tubes.

The seat stem *is* Campagnolo and, as Tel suggested, the front mech is Shimano. The brakes are Weinmann. I can't tell myself if the stem is Cinelli Record (no identifying marks on it) but I'm sure you can tell that just from the shape and I don't doubt you.

The hubs are Pellissier (are those any good?) and the quick release levers are Mavic ones with what looks to me like a nice old-fashioned script on them. The rim on the front wheel has a Mavic sticker on it with a model number, and there doesn't seem to be any identifying marks on the back rim.

I'll try and post some more photos when I get home, I'm on a late shift at work right now. I'll also look up the frame number (or bottom bracket number?), which is stamped on the bottom.

Stem looks like a Cinelli XA.

Pelisser hubs are okay, I think they topped out at reasonable rather than high end although I could be wrong on that....

Look forward to seeing better pics

Back