2013 Retrotec Triple ("Scorcher")

halaburt

Retro Guru
So this is a fun project that JUST got completed. It started about 18 months ago. I'm a big fan/collector of handmade bikes from northern California builders... especially Cunningham, Potts, WTB. But I've always had lots of admiration for Ibis, Salsa and many others.

About a 18-24 months ago, an Ibis Scorcher came up on eBay in a size (large) that I thought might work for me. It was in pretty sweet original condition. Scorchers are kinda whacky bikes -- but there's a great story that goes with them and for Ibis aficionados they're something pretty special. Here's the one I bought: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=201931 It's currently up in August rBoTM (vote early and often!).

It turned out there were 2 big problems with the Scorcher:
- It was too small for me -- I'm 6'5" (1.95m) tall.
- The parts it's built with are pretty much crap. And I mean the original parts spec. Chainline is bad, most of the parts weren't designed for fixed-gear or off-road use. It looks pretty, but really doesn't work very well.

Now, bubbling around in the back of my head is a desire to get a new bike from one of the newer/current generation of NorCal builders. I love them all (Inglis, Sycip, Soulcraft, Falconer, etc.)... but Retrotecs (Inglis'es) had always really captured my imagination. I love the shape/look of my Merin Newsboy... and the Curtis (Inglis) has really taken that concept to a whole new level: http://www.ingliscycles.com/retrotec.php

The idea: Have Curtis make me a new bike that was:
- Functionally a "Scorcher" (single speed, fixed-gear, on/off-road tires). But with rock-solid, top-of-the-line components designed for this use.
- Aesthetically a super pure/special Retrotec. ALL fillet-brazed, and with a sweet Russ Pickett paint job.

The result:

9565515081_b8d950b2da_b.jpg

9565508397_c35e9d4cc0_b.jpg

9568310942_92549616fa_b.jpg

9568312646_a8415428fa_b.jpg

9565518477_cef58505e9_b.jpg

9568304292_07c7b4cce5_b.jpg

9568304716_5b287464a5_b.jpg

I'll make a few additional posts here highlighting the build spec and some of the more interesting/cool details.

That is stunning, absolutley beautiful frame/forks/stem and a dream component spec. Love the Bruce Gordon tyres, I'm about to place an order for a few!

Nice frame indeed.

Ermm ... how does the rear brake work? I see a lever on both sides of the handlebar, but only a cable that goes from the left side to the front brake. I don't see any sign of a rear brake.

Raging_Bulls":gs72sob9 said:
Ermm ... how does the rear brake work? I see a lever on both sides of the handlebar, but only a cable that goes from the left side to the front brake. I don't see any sign of a rear brake.

It is a fixed gear so no rear brake will be needed. I would imagine that the other lever is there so that the rider has two 'hoods' to rest his hands on while riding.

benbonty":2wlf0fgz said:
Raging_Bulls":2wlf0fgz said:

It is a fixed gear so no rear brake will be needed. I would imagine that the other lever is there so that the rider has two 'hoods' to rest his hands on while riding.
Correct. The right lever has been modified to immobilize the lever blade. It's just for a hand position.

Here's the build specs-

Frame: Retrotec Triple “Scorcher” (Fillet Brazed including BB)

Fork: Retrotec Lugged with Pacenti Paris-Brest crown, Cunningham steering limiter

Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet (Old-Cup, No Logo), Cunningham tapered spacer
Stem: Retrotec Custom (threadless-style)
Handlebar: Salsa Woodchipper 46cm wide, 31.8mm clamp
Tape: Velox Tressostar 90 Black Cloth with Grab-On underlays, Velox bar plugs

Brake: Cunningham LeverLink w/Cunningham Bridge (F)
Brake Pads: Kool-Stop Thinline Salmon
Brake Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace BL-7402 (Cunningham-modified)

Cog: Phil Wood Fixed 1/8” 21t
Chain: Izumi Model-V Super Toughness 1/2” x 1/8” NJS
Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-7600 175mm NJS
Chainring: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-7710 53t NJS
Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood 126mm Campy/ISO Stainless Axle
with Phil Wood Cups, Crank Bolts, Mud Guards
Pedals: MKS BM-7 (placeholder setup)
Hub Skewers: Phil Wood (bolts)
Rims: Velocity Synergy Silver 700cx32h Machined (F), 36h Non-Machined (R)
Hubs: Phil Wood Kiss-Off Silver 32h (F), 36h Fixed-only (R)
Nipples/Spokes: DT
Tires: Bruce Gordon Rock‘n’Road 700x43c

Saddle: Cinelli Unicanitor “Track”
Seatpost: Paul Components Tall & Handsome 27.2mm Polished
Seatpost QR: Phil Wood 30.0mm Silver

Bottle Cage(s): Cunningham/Nitto “XL”
Pump: Zefal Solibloc, seatpost/internal (Cunningham-modified)

That is a beautiful piece of giant sized artwork :cool: I'd need a scaffold to reach that saddle :LOL:

Latest posts

Back