What 70's saddle?

NeilM

Tragically it's only the 70's I can remember LOL

Just thinking about the spanish saddle mentioned. Like Zeus copied campag several Unicanitor copies came from spain, I've got one somewhere. Also the Japs copied them. Kashimax rings a bell but would have to velobase that one.

Good luck in your search :D

Shaun

Shaun, I am grateful for whatever cycling recollections you have.

The late 70's were when I was finishing college and starting work, so for me it was all about exam results, beer, British motorbikes, beer, girls, beer, girls, beer, British motorbikes and beer.

The 1977 Bikeology catalog, a major retailer here in SoCal that became Supergo, lists the following saddles:

Cinelli Unicanitor #3 Buffalo $27.50
Cinelli Unicanitor #2 Split cowhide $26.00
Cinelli Unicanitor #4 Chrome leather $25.00
Cinelli Unicanitor #55 Nylon racing shell $11.00

Lambertini smooth leather unpadded $11.50
Lambertini smooth leather padded $12.95
Lambertini suede leather unpadded $12.95
Lambertini suede leather padded $13.95

Ideale 2002 Black fine grain padded $29.95
Ideale 2003 Black Suede padded $31.95
Ideale No. 90 Special Competition $23.95
Ideale No. 90 Aluminum rails $29.88
Ideale No. 80 Leather $13.98

Brooks Professional $27.88

The Seat by Cool Gear $31.50

There are a handful of other saddles listed in the catalog aimed at the comfort bike market. But personally I'll take two of the duraluminum Ideale 90s at 29.88 a pop

Back in the 1950's 60's I had a direct purchase account with Brooks, but personally liked the Ideale, as imported by RK. The Wrights saddles we used to see were always on cheap bikes, and looked nearer to cardboard than leather. I suppose as part of Brooks there must have been some better ones, it's just that I never saw one.

The main differences with later saddles were they were less than half the weight, and more water proof. From what I used to see then, you can get used to riding almost anything.
Keith

keithglos":3dwasykx said:
From what I used to see then, you can get used to riding almost anything.
Keith

I think you're right Keith, as my roadbike saddles are not nearly as comfy as my mtb bike saddles, yet I cover far more road than offroad miles.

Arius saddle secured and delivered. :mrgreen:

There were a few Brooks and Unicators I looked at, but the Arius was being ignored, so I got it for a good price. The seller said he'd just removed it from his 1978 Carlton.

So, next, clincher rims, 36 hole.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the offer.

I have a pretty good shopping list which I worked up on VeloBase; it's just a matter of finding a suitable pair at a suitable price, something like Mavic Module 3 or Module E, Super Champion (Wolber), or maybe something from Weinmann, but as always, I'm open to suggestions.

Back