drivetrain retro/modern equivalents and diminishing returns

Re: drivetrain retro/modern equivalents and diminishing retu

And for light weight, try Hygia, they are quite simply brilliant..

Never heard of them before, they don't seem to be available in the UK.

Quite correct.. One of those 'Taiwan specials' similar to KCNC, Mowa etc. The Hygia brakes are pretty much copies of 4/5 year old Shimano, they are distributed in the US, but Ebay is probably the best way to get them to the UK.

Interesting point, they come set up as F/L R/R rather than UK Front/Right setup, but if careful you can just undo the hose from the lever/revervoir & swap it, with no pesky air getting in. Fantastic bits of kit, and use Shimano-fit pads.

Does anyone know what the weird names of the different Shimano groupsets mean? Here are some guesses:

DX = deluxe
XT = expert
XTR = expert racing
Acera = steel/sharp? (Acero = steel in spanish, acer = sharp in latin / proto indo european)
Deore = of gold, golden?

My 'proper' retro with MT60 / M730 only gets used in dry conditions. If I want to wreck something in mud I use modern 8 speed chains and cassettes with retro shifters on early 9-speed derailleurs. All are cheap and plentiful. 9 speed works better than earlier drivetrains in my opinion, but I've never used 10 or the new SRAM 11 for that matter.

SP

ultrazenith":1ve7e5wa said:
Does anyone know what the weird names of the different Shimano groupsets mean? Here are some guesses:

DX = deluxe
XT = expert
XTR = expert racing
Acera = steel/sharp? (Acero = steel in spanish, acer = sharp in latin / proto indo european)
Deore = of gold, golden?

Nice theory, but probably they got a computer to come up with names never used before to prevent trademark infringements...like Xantia, Safrane, Almera etc. Some are definitely from Japanese...Sora means sky.

In my opinion the new stuff does work better, just not better enough to really worry about. Saying that, my old (2008 I think) XTR shifters were the best I've ever had and far better then the retro version.

xerxes":3bkf5b8s said:
I have Vs on my older bike and discs on my newer one and I can't say I notice a huge difference. Having said that, my disc brakes are Avid Juicy 3, which are not the best, with 160mm rotors. I dare say that top of the line 4 pot callipers and big rotors, like on some of the downhill bikes, are significantly more powerful.

The Juicy 3s are the next thing I'd like to change on my newer bike. I don't really need 4 pot, downhill power, but brakes that don't leak from the reservoir cover would be nice. :x I was thinking maybe Shimano SLX or XT.

had exactly the same problem... leaking from around reservoir cover. Replaced with Juicy 7s. I wouldn't have chosen Avid again, except they were cheap and I knew they'd go straight on and I could even re-use existing pads.

My theory is that they started leaking because I stored the bike upside down in my loft, so all the fluid ran onto the seals and eventually stripped the paint and corroded the aluminium, then they started leaking.

Total rubbish really because the Shimano (Deore?) ones I had used mineral oil and were better in every single respect than the Avids...

My theory is that they started leaking because I stored the bike upside down in my loft, so all the fluid ran onto the seals and eventually stripped the paint and corroded the aluminium, then they started leaking.

My bike was never stored upside-down, and the reservoir covers started leaking after a year or so of light use, so I think they are just poorly designed and made. The DOT fluid doesn't seem to have effected the coating on the levers in any way and it doesn't seem to effect the braking, but I like to keep my bikes in good fettle and the fact that there's always a dribble of fluid around the reservoir cap just irritates me.

The fact that Shimano brakes don't use DOT fluid is something that appeals to me, and the fact that I've seen mostly very positive reviews for their hydraulic disc brake systems.

I've been using thumbshifters daily for a few months, and in use, they actually suck. shifting gear is a much less dignified process than with RF+

cce":372r6p4e said:
I've been using thumbshifters daily for a few months, and in use, they actually suck. shifting gear is a much less dignified process than with RF+

1+

SP

Back