Unknown Purple MTB Frame - can anyone help identify?

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi to all

I've had some frames knocking about in the shed for the best part of 20 years, and I've finally got around to clearing it out! Problem is, I just don't know what a couple of them are.

This one was picked up in the BIKE UK liquidation auction in the early 90's and I assume it was a customer's bike that had been in for respray and they went bust before the customer got it back. I can't see any obvious markings on it, apart from the SPINNER dropouts on the front forks - does anyone recognise the unusual rear dropout lugs or the press-fit bottom bracket shell, the top routed cables, front mech roller mount, or Columbus MAX style ovalised tubing?

Hi res Gallery to the pics below - any help in identification and therefore valuation is very much appreciated!

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/002955566-.html#1

Specs are:

TT - C-C = 22.5" / 57.5cm
ST - C-C = 17.5" / 44.5cm
RDO = 130MM OLN
Head Tube = 1.25"
All Top Routed Cable Mounts
Front Mech Pulley Wheel
Canti / V-Brake Bosses
Columbus Max OR style ovalised tubing (TT / DT and bottom of ST)
Twin Bottle Bosses
Circa 30mm Seatpin (not exact but close)

:?

timkrik":2b71a46b said:
Looks to have some similarity to the frame in this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=267491

Thanks Timkrik - some similarities, but would say defo not the same manufacturer... The drop out end of the chainstays is probably the most unique feature on my purple one that I've never seen before....

kermitgreenkona88":1zknz42s said:
Gary Fisher :?: :?:

Thanks, but I would guess not - I actually have an '87 GF Pro Calibre sitting here, and they are nothing alike at all in style or build.

I don't think it is now just was going by the 'shot-in' stays and the press fit BB and 1&1/4" headset, and those drop-outs look later too :? :?

Looks to have some similarity to the frame in this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=267491

Nothing like, this one's steel, that's aluminium. :?

I have a similar, unknown steel frame: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=232089. I still don't know exactly what it is, but I've given up worrying about it, I like the layout of the frame, top routed cables etc., it rides nicely and I think it looks pretty nifty in its new metallic green finish. :D

Thing is, dozens of major brands were having TIG welded steel built in Taiwan in the 90s, Marin, Kona, Scott, etc. and details like drop outs, cable stops, canti bridges etc., were often very similar. To add to the confusion, smaller, lesser known brands and possibly some shops could have similar "own brand" frames built in the same factories and badged up with slight detail variations, different cable routing, drop outs etc., so you might never know what it is.

Weight might give you some idea of quality, if it's under 2,000g, it's light for a steel frame and it would have to be made of a decent quality thin wall tube. 2,000 to 2,500g is still pretty light and would probably be made of something double butted. As a reference, my 19" Marin Pine Mountain, made of Tange double butted tubes weighs in at 2,560g, my unknown frame, made from Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong weighs 2,235g. If it weighs over 3,000g, it's probably not made of anything special, but having said all that, it's a big generalisation, best thing is to build it up, ride it and see if you like it.

xerxes":2uzlb5ii said:

Nothing like, this one's steel, that's aluminium. :?

I have a similar, unknown steel frame: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=232089. I still don't know exactly what it is, but I've given up worrying about it, I like the layout of the frame, top routed cables etc., it rides nicely and I think it looks pretty nifty in its new metallic green finish. :D

Thing is, dozens of major brands were having TIG welded steel built in Taiwan in the 90s, Marin, Kona, Scott, etc. and details like drop outs, cable stops, canti bridges etc., were often very similar. To add to the confusion, smaller, lesser known brands and possibly some shops could have similar "own brand" frames built in the same factories and badged up with slight detail variations, different cable routing, drop outs etc., so you might never know what it is.

Weight might give you some idea of quality, if it's under 2,000g, it's light for a steel frame and it would have to be made of a decent quality thin wall tube. 2,000 to 2,500g is still pretty light and would probably be made of something double butted. As a reference, my 19" Marin Pine Mountain, made of Tange double butted tubes weighs in at 2,560g, my unknown frame, made from Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong weighs 2,235g. If it weighs over 3,000g, it's probably not made of anything special, but having said all that, it's a big generalisation, best thing is to build it up, ride it and see if you like it.

Thanks Xerxes - appreciate the reply!

I don't think it is all that similar to that frame in the other thread - the rear chainstay dropouts are not lugged (like mine are), the tubing doesn't appear to be ovalised (Columbus Max style), press fit b/b bearings? (It doesn't appear to have) etc etc.

The reason for enquiring is to try and find out what it is, is that I want to sell it not ride it, and it would be really helpful if I could identify for the potential seller. Really appreciate people's thoughts though.

Back