Engine Oil Top Up - First timer :-/

minor_LEGEND":14vemp8l said:
I think modewrn cars have oil level sensors in the sump, but as said above. In something a bit older or more basic, the 'oil light' on the dash is a low pressure warning. Typically if that comes on your engine is already goosed.

If it flickers on and off then it could be the oil sloshing away from the pick up due to cornering or braking or something. If that's the case though then it needs topping up urgently because the engine won't last long if the low oil pressure is sustained.

having worked at halfords (no more :D ) and having done a few weeks at a autocentre as a placement. for gods sake do not take your car there ! my 9 year old sister can do a better job than them! in and out quick quick is the aim for them and that means theyll bodge anything! some of their work was shocking!

JamesM":2h4ieqb3 said:
minor_LEGEND":2h4ieqb3 said:
I think modewrn cars have oil level sensors in the sump, but as said above. In something a bit older or more basic, the 'oil light' on the dash is a low pressure warning. Typically if that comes on your engine is already goosed.

If it flickers on and off then it could be the oil sloshing away from the pick up due to cornering or braking or something. If that's the case though then it needs topping up urgently because the engine won't last long if the low oil pressure is sustained.
Thats what *most* oil fault indications are these days. Probably over 95%.

Slightly low oil level, getting either frothy or pulled away from the pump pick up. Then gives you a oil fault light.

And AFAIK, the low oil level sensors will be on some mid/high end cars over the last 8-10 years. A couple of manufacturers that i know of have added one, then taken it away due to reliability issues, then put it back in on a subsequent model year.

FWIW, a well engineered engine *should* be tolerant to an oil level slightly below the bottom limit. The margin is down to the individual manufacturer/model. Some of them are very bad at it. (I've heard of several dipstick recalls/service fixes, so they can fit a shorter one when the oil level was miscalculated!)

My oil can light glows orange for level, and red for low pressure. Scared the sh1t out of me first time it came on during a drive!!!

I had an auxillary drive belt go a couple of years ago, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. For about 10 seconds.

Then everything stopped. Completely.

Mine fires up a message on the dash "you vill check ze oil level!" Very German, and goes ping like the no smoking light in a 737

Whooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

LOL

Far be it for me to have an opinion, but regarding the debate above about oil pressure and oil levels - i tell my guys to check the vehicle manual when a light goes on - the manual should tell you the problem and might even give a resolution!

Good stuff re the lack of light today!!!

I once had to drive to a distant hospital like a manic due to a very serious sudden illness in our family, the oil light came on with about 3 miles to go and i drove on - at my first opportunity, i topped the oil up and the car kept going for another 5 years until i had to sell it. Check your oil and water (coolant) regularly!!! Top tip for today.

Richard

mattr":1cmzq1tc said:
JamesM":1cmzq1tc said:
minor_LEGEND":1cmzq1tc said:

Thats what *most* oil fault indications are these days. Probably over 95%.

Slightly low oil level, getting either frothy or pulled away from the pump pick up. Then gives you a oil fault light.

And AFAIK, the low oil level sensors will be on some mid/high end cars over the last 8-10 years. A couple of manufacturers that i know of have added one, then taken it away due to reliability issues, then put it back in on a subsequent model year.

FWIW, a well engineered engine *should* be tolerant to an oil level slightly below the bottom limit. The margin is down to the individual manufacturer/model. Some of them are very bad at it. (I've heard of several dipstick recalls/service fixes, so they can fit a shorter one when the oil level was miscalculated!)
my 1988 E30, has a dynamic oil level sensor, one level check at startup, then another level for when the engine's going.

Back