Modern Roberts

I like it. If you are going to blow a load of cash on something new and modern, it may as well be on this than something plastic from a bike hypermarket.

i'm not sure if i like it, more to do with the paint really, it looks like it has been painted to look like it's carbon with the usual boring graphics that the big brands put on their frames.

also, the B/B does look high, could just be a bit of an illusion, but i think the reason it looks high is that the chainstay is horizontal but that could be because of the mostly same sized tubing on the chainstay.

spec wise, yeah could be a wallet build but everything there is performance proven kit, nuff said really.

position, personal preference and for racing by the look of it, that said i wouldn't like to chuck this around a trail centre but then it's not a trail centre bike, trail centres ARE designed for modern bikes, long travel hardtails or full suss bikes mostly, and before someone gets on their high horse about that comment, yes you can ride retro or anything round a trail centre but they are designed for todays bikes.

Your right, the BB is a touch high. I have a Roberts with BB set at 14.5 inches, it climbs like a goat.
I would like to know the size, weight, build of the owner/rider?
The BB height is a variable with these forks.
I am 18 stone and push/test forks to the limit just getting out of the drive.
This may well be the most interesting design I have seen in years.
One thing I am certain of is that Chas knows more about bikes and set-up than I do.
This bike is ACE!

Anyone know Chas well enough to encourage him to respond without making him feel that we are questioning his judgement?

Sinnerman, is this something you could do?

Personally, I think that is absolutely lush. So nice to see someone going for a different, and dare I say it, modern take on the paint on a DB*.

*This from the man with a bright red DB, that really does need a respray. :oops:

Sadly I struggle myself to even get him to the phone sometimes....busy busy busy, Brian is very good, but the owner is the man I suspect would be the right person to comment on this anyway to be fair, his money and his choices.

What I am finding really hard to understand here, is the couple of comments referring to the "wallet wave".

JonnyBoy, You yourself have an unbelievable sexy Demon Handbuilt bike Complete with KING and GOLD Bling, Dripping with XTR....? I think your later part of your statement is far more accurate.... :cool:

This isn't any different? Other than the Riders personal budget and taste and intended riding style, all contributing factors.

There are on average only 12 Dogs built every Year, the waiting list isn't short nor the time from measure up to delivery.

I know if I was waiting for my Dream "bespoke" handbuilt bike to be finished, whether DEMON or ROBERTS I would sit down with my laptop, and attempt to assemble my dream bike with the best components I could afford at the best prices I could find from the net and cut as few corners as possible, to achieve my ultimate build for a made to measure bike that will last a lifetime., and I would stretch my budget to achieve it too.... :shock:

I feel calling this bike a "wallet wave" an insult to the poor bloke that owns it especially as NO one has spoken to the owner or read a 17 page thread on why he made his spec and build Choices.

:facepalm:

The frame could be a few years old and built for a shorter travel fork? The seatclamp, droputs and chainstays don't look like the latest model. That would explain the slack angles and slightly high bb. Take 20mm out of the fork travel and 20mm off the stem length and it would look better imo.

The paint looks great, I imagine it is a recent respray and not done by Roberts usual painters.

Can somebody ask the owner when the frame was built and when and who sprayed it?

joss":34ipp55w said:
Your right, the BB is a touch high. I have a Roberts with BB set at 14.5 inches, it climbs like a goat.
!
Do you need to climb anywhere? Can't you just enjoy the view from where you are?

sinnerman":z0hpco0i said:
Sadly I struggle myself to even get him to the phone sometimes....busy busy busy, Brian is very good, but the owner is the man I suspect would be the right person to comment on this anyway to be fair, his money and his choices.

What I am finding really hard to understand here, is the couple of comments referring to the "wallet wave".

JonnyBoy, You yourself have an unbelievable sexy Demon Handbuilt bike Complete with KING and GOLD Bling, Dripping with XTR....? I think your later part of your statement is far more accurate.... :cool:

This isn't any different? Other than the Riders personal budget and taste and intended riding style, all contributing factors.

There are on average only 12 Dogs built every Year, the waiting list isn't short nor the time from measure up to delivery.

I know if I was waiting for my Dream "bespoke" handbuilt bike to be finished, whether DEMON or ROBERTS I would sit down with my laptop, and attempt to assemble my dream bike with the best components I could afford at the best prices I could find from the net and cut as few corners as possible, to achieve my ultimate build for a made to measure bike that will last a lifetime., and I would stretch my budget to achieve it too.... :shock:

I feel calling this bike a "wallet wave" an insult to the poor bloke that owns it especially as NO one has spoken to the owner or read a 17 page thread on why he made his spec and build Choices.

:facepalm:

I think you misunderstood my comment, I said it 'could be' a wallet build, but everything was proven equipment, meaning that I understand that every part there is the best that it could be. It wasn't meant as an insult, more it could be either, owned by someone with money to spare or someone who wants the best parts for his chosen purpose he can afford and is willing to pay for it, for the record I think it's owned by someone who knows what he wants and has built it for that purpose. Racing

That said the bike is from a London based builder that people go to for his reputation and because they can afford it, I've been in condor cycles in London when I have heard a fat banker say "right, I'm doing London to Brighton next week, how much do I need to spend?!" Then you see the sales guys face light up!

It is an unknown, with no input from the owner we won't know but I suspect he's probably a pretty handy rider.

P.s I also understand that someone could see my bike(s) and make assumptions without knowing me, i accept that, I wasn't initially making an assumption, merely commenting that others were and it could be either of the options.

Maybe I should use more smiley faces so people can understand the tone more

Back