Front and rear spoke counts

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

When did people start using a lower spoke count in the front?

yes that'll be fine, although I do not think there was any particular norm then but if I was pushed I'd say 36, 36 ruled the day - 36, 32 would have been for the discerning rider building a bike to his own spec....

Sorry waffling - 36/ 32 is fine for an 80's build imho

36/36 was the basic standard mid to late 70's even then the old 40/32 was hanging around. TT bikes went as low as they dared :D

people were just thinking about lowering the front spoke count as I left in 1978

Shaun

I have finally found a 36 rear 50th hub. I have a 32 front.

Not sure about if I should hold out for a matching pair or if I should go for a 32/36 wheelset.

I had a book by an engineer named Maxwell written in 1896, when standard spoking was 32 x 40, he recommended 20% less spokes to improve windage.
In the 50's we were doing some 32 x 36 because logically if a 32 spoke wheel is strong enough why have an extra 4 spokes. Always caused problems with the stock of hubs.
In the 1960's Beryl Burton was on 24 x 24 using the German Scheeren wood inserts which were just 8 ounces each, supplied by Ron Kitching.
When ordering these from Ron I always had them packed in the middle of a crate of rims because of the risk of damage.

I had a pair of 24's in the mid/late 80's that I got 2nd hand from 'Cycling' mag small ads. The rims were Martano and needed truing after every ride. I had them rebuilt with Mavic GP4's and they were rock solid then - if a bit heavier!

Pete Matthews started selling his 'Pianni' wheels with low spoke counts (16/24 or 16/20?) in the 80's I think.

I would never lace up wheels as shown in Sheldons guide.
Stand up to insert the spokes and sit down to tension and true. In Europe the spokes from the inside of the flange were always inserted in opposite directions, if countersinks and rim angle and stagger allowed.
In the mid 50's I saw both BSA and Hercules factory wheel building.
BSA had 2 ladies lacing up, and one man tensioning and trueing. They were building standard heavy steel (32 ounce rims), the lace up was 2.5 minutes, and the true and tension had to be half of that, close to 50 wheels an hour.
The Hercules about the same. The best I could do was about 3 mins.

Back