Engine Oil Top Up - First timer :-/

Mine once used up an engines worth in one journey - I'm sat in a queue think gawd that Suzuki in front needs some oil! As I hear rattle rattle rattle...

It was mine.

legrandefromage":35oxg2gw said:
Mine once used up an engines worth in one journey - I'm sat in a queue think gawd that Suzuki in front needs some oil! As I hear rattle rattle rattle...

It was mine.

:LOL:

Or more expensive than having it done properly, depending on how much of an ape your local Halfords spanner monkey is. They pay far from top whack and tend not to attract the best engineers as a consequence.

Remember, the oil light is warning you that oil pressure is low, not the oil level, although low pressure can be caused by insufficient volume of oil.

Chopper1192":2o10hmc8 said:
Or more expensive than having it done properly, depending on how much of an ape your local Halfords spanner monkey is.

Hey - don't be hatin' on apes and monkeys - we have feelings, too.

Chopper1192":3i0w5sg5 said:
Remember, the oil light is warning you that oil pressure is low, not the oil level, although low pressure can be caused by insufficient volume of oil.

I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the advice :)

The oil level was low, and the light hasn't come back on since I topped it up, so hopefully I've cured it.

I flush mine before I replenish them.

My uncle swears by Halford's. Around ten 4x4s regularly done when there is an offer on, and no problems ever. Even in a quality private garage it is usually the grunt who will do oil changes and the like.

I think modewrn cars have oil level sensors in the sump, but as said above. In something a bit older or more basic, the 'oil light' on the dash is a low pressure warning. Typically if that comes on your engine is already goosed.

Back