Need a bit of help with bits and pieces please

Storm

Retro Newbie
Been going over my Fire Mountain identifying what needs attention and found a few issues which need to be addressed. I have posted a couple of issues in my original Fire Mountain thread but am gonna repeat them here as I really am clueless right now, so, lets go....

Got an issues with my chain where it slackens right off if I peddle backwards, the rear mech pulls right up and it sags above the chain stay, could that be a chain length issue as I seem to remember I may have removed a link or two last time I rode it. Going through the gears is smooth and easy so don't think it is a mech setup issue.

I also need a new axle for my bottom bracket but have no idea what size I'm looking for, ideally I would like to upgrade to a new XT BB.

Brake levers and some kind of modification to the brakes is also on the list as one of the more important things to do, Ideally I want XT again, can I get away with V Brakes without the need for any major modifications? The Kona Curve cantis are kind of appealing but are they worth considering if I stick with original brake system?

Chain sag.
Freehub needs a clean up or bearings are tight.
Take wheel off, rotate freehub backwards see what i feels like (do the same with it on the frame as well.
You may be able to free it a bit by cleaning and spraying the back of the freehub part. You can do the hub bearings at the same time.
etc..
OR it's the jokey wheels binding up, give them a clean and lube as well.

Assuming you have the correct bottom bracket on now, just read the length or code off it (or measure it
and buy a new one.
OR post which chainset model you have.

Without knowing what you have on there now I cannot comment.
Do you have a link to your build thread?

I have had similar problems with a chain when it is too dirty or worn. If you are planning to change the BB, it could be a good opportunity to refresh all the gear train.
I clean gear train parts in white spirit and/or WD40, I only use a tiny amount of GT85 spray for lubrication, avoid using heavier oils such as "3 in 1" they collect dirt and grit like a magnet.
The best way to ensure you find the correct size of BB would be to remove the old one. They are normally marked with a sticker giving the key dimensions. If it hasn't been touched in years it can be a bit of a pig to get out, so having a "dry run" is no bad thing. Ditto for getting the cranks off.

Thanks for the quick replies, I only found the chain problem by accident when I got a bit of a wobble and my feet went backwards, as I corrected and pedaled forward there was nothing and I remembered why I always thought the 18" frame was just a little too tall for me :shock:

Got the wheels off the bike right now as they need a little truing so I will dismantle and hopefully lube and sort it out.

OK, if bottom bracket has info on it that will hopefully be straight forward enough to sort, it is probably time for a new chain as well. Any options for BB's other than the XT? XT was always my intended route for the bike although i'm on a DX chainset right now.

As for brakes, that was always gonna be the next change, whilst they do work ok I never liked the look of the rears so its time for a change.

FluffyChicken, heres the link http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=267829

Changing the brakes is normally simple enough, especially as you have separate brake/gear levers. You will need to change both the levers and brakes though (canti levers don't work so well with v brakes).

You may have an issue with the rear brake, as older kona frames don't have a v brake cable stop. Good news is you can get adapters that em either clamp on the frame or are integrated into the seat post clamp (or are a seperate item that fits on the seat post) that create the cable stop you will need.

Good luck.

ishaw":wpytzn85 said:
You may have an issue with the rear brake, as older kona frames don't have a v brake cable stop. Good news is you can get adapters that em either clamp on the frame or are integrated into the seat post clamp (or are a seperate item that fits on the seat post) that create the cable stop you will need.

Good luck.

At the risk of sounding a complete fool, what exactly am I searching for? :roll: Searching brake cable stop, clamp on brake cable stop, v-brake adapter etc is only giving me one result on the bike pieces front, plenty of bits and bobs if I want to bring a car to a standstill though. I don't mind forking out the £20ish I've seen one listed for on ebay as it is something I will need if I take the v-brake route but surely that can't be the only one available?

The History Man":2ebfvzgt said:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/origin8-clamp-on-double-frame-cable-stop-prod26491/

I must be bored! :LOL:

Thank you very much :) replace brake with frame and search and I've got more options than I could of imagined, think a bit more caffeine is needed to kickstart the brain today ;)

PurleySquire":2db13723 said:
The best way to ensure you find the correct size of BB would be to remove the old one. They are normally marked with a sticker giving the key dimensions. If it hasn't been touched in years it can be a bit of a pig to get out, so having a "dry run" is no bad thing. Ditto for getting the cranks off.

OK, had the spanners out and dismantled it, axle reads 68=T=122.5, D-3NL. I assume the 122.5 is the length? but am now confused about the actual BB. Looking around on ebay the majority seem to be sealed units and I am not sure one will fit in my frame, I essentially need two end bearing cups and the axle/spindle, I found a few cruder looking ones on ebay but the length if I'm correct at 122.5 is proving harder to find, is it possible to fit sealed units in the old Kona's as looking through my tube there is an insert which surrounds the spindle/axle and contains the hole where you pump grease in through the nipple on the frame that I think will prevent installation.

Buy Shimano BB-UN55 68 - 122.5
Cartridge, so you'll need the tool for it.

Job done and you should be able to forget about that for some time.
If you get a different chainset though you may need a different length (or type)

I'll have a read of your thread a bit later.

Back